Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

gpr probelm help please!!! ski statrs fine then cuts out when , seems like electrical

i just got a 2001 yamaha gpr1200, today i finally got to wayer test it for the first time!!! i let it warm up and rode for a few min at idle and then when i got on the gas i started to notice that the ski was bogging, and almost died, so i figured it was just cold, so did a few slow turns then tried again, and it wouldnt even get to half speed and was feeling like it was dying, did a few more runs and it got a little better and was clearing out, but not good enough, it would cut out at wot!! and feel like it was going to shut off.

i figured it was the sensor next to the cat, cause it has been cut, the previous owner said he rode it like this and it rode fine. the ski was sitting for six months, so i drained all the old gas, changed the plugs, got a new battery, and put fresh gas mixed 40-1, im not sure if the ski has the d -plate mod, but im thinking it does cause why would they cut the sensor wire??? any help is greatly appreciated, im debating do i take it back to the lake tomm morning and run more of the fresh fuel through her and see how she does or tear the exhaust off and see if i have a d plate or a busted cat!!! thanks guys for the help and ill be checking back hourly, cause im in high gear on this one and dying to get to 70 mph!!!!

+1

update

ok so i did some more reasearch and found that some dont use the sensor after the d plate chip mod, i think i have the chip is it right by the flush kit, the little black plug end with two round tubes???? if so i think my prob is just the carbs

thats the chip, and definitely sounds like a carb issue!

+1

i have the dplate right, if i have the ecu chip mod

im guessing i have the d plate , because i have the ecu mod, and free flow exhaust, this ski was sitting for six months , the guy i bought it from got it running the day i went to look at it, today was the first time i got to take it out cause i was draining the old gas, now im going to replace all the fuel lines, and fuel filter, and clean the carbs,,until i get the money to buy the carb kits i was going to try sea foam, have any of u tried it on the gpr???? i used it before and not had any problems

dont use any of that stuff on these skies, I wouldnt run it till you rebuild the carbs. There are little filters screens built into the carbs and if your running wide open and theyre a little clogged you can lean out your engine and it will cost well over a thousand if not thousands depending on how bad you blow it up!!
    You could try changing the fuel filter but I think its time for a rebuild. Changing the lines isn't going to do anything for you.

+1

looks like im pulling them tomm then

i will pull them tomm and report back, thanks for the heads up on the seafoam

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    dont use any of that stuff on these skies, I wouldnt run it till you rebuild the carbs. There are little filters screens built into the carbs and if your running wide open and theyre a little clogged you can lean out your engine and it will cost well over a thousand if not thousands depending on how bad you blow it up!!
    You could try changing the fuel filter but I think its time for a rebuild. Changing the lines isn't going to do anything for you.
    +1

+1

carbs pulled, noticed i need 2 right side motor mounts

the carbs were pretty bad, guy wasnt using air filter, does anyone else not run air filters on their gpr???? talked to a friend and he said no one runs air filter down here, it give .5 mph or something, but i would rather be safe than gain a half mph.. so i got the carbs off going through them tonight , hopefully will be back on water soon, i noticed when i got the carbs off that the two right side motor mount are bad!!!, anyone have good used right side mounts front and back??? pm me price please, also where is the fuel filter located on the gpr i didnt see one

There aren't any airfilters on these engines. They have an airbox with a metal screen called flame arrestors so a spark wont come into the engine compartment.

+1

no stock air box, just fa, adapters, i think pro k adapters

down here in miami, the word is, the gpr without a filter is faster, im getting a set anyway, i just disconnected the accel pump, today, and noticed it doesnt have the wave eater clips, so im buy the clips tomm hopefully, riva has the carb rebuild kits on back order so im stuck rebuilding the carbs, im gonna try to pullthem apart and re use the parts, im gonna order new gaskets tomm, i noticed i have 2 broken right side motor mounts so im looking for those also

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information