Polaris engine cutting out at low speed

If someone could please give me some advice I would really appreciate it. I have installed the hull and engine of a 95 polaris 750 in a 13ft skiff. The engine compartment is homemade but all of the components are laid out almost exactly how they were in the ski. It has a center console which is made to be straddled and extends to the engine compartment. The only ventilation I haver installed so far is three vents (the ones that look like shower drain covers) in the front of the console. The last time I had it out to test it ran fine at high speed but would die out with my finger off the throttle after a little while and not start back up. The first time this happened I found that the choke cable had come loose, after putting it back on and tightening it, I was able to start it again and run at idle for awhile then it cut out again. It would not start back up until I opened the engine compartment. After having this happen a few times I idled with the compartment open and no more problem. The confusing part is however that when it dies, it is like someone hit the kill switch instead of sounding like it is starving for air. There is no sputtering, the engine is not hot, I did have a problem with a leak in the fuel selector valve but Im almost positive I fixed it, but I cannot imagine that this engine, at idle would create a vacuum in a compartment that does not even have seals around it yet. Can someone please help?

Norway, Kristiansand
    The first thing that comes to my mind is that you have a exhaust leak somewhere... that would kill the engine like that. But I guess you would have noticed if there was a leak..
    Can you post some pics of the build??

Ill have some pics of the build up later today!

My buddy helped me put the engine back in after I painted the boat and failed to tighten the clamps that connect the muffler to the housing. This I noticed on a previous test and the I wasnt having the problem of it cutting out.

When I put it back together I realized that I lost one of the washers that hold the manifold on the engine. Would this possibly cause a leak? There is no longer any major leaks, I have seen firsthand what it looks like on this set-up.

This was my first time testing with the cover that goes over the carbs tightened down. Could that be somehow restricting air?

Thread Information