New to sea-doo, bought 2 96 gtx. rotax engines reliable!

I got a deal on 2 1996 gtx, both need att. to batt,carbs, I got both to run before i bought them both idled, but had problem to turn over with low batt. one of them would bog out and die, the other bogged too but stayed on. i will clean and charge the batt first, they both had been service 3 months ago and new batt, one had carbs rebuilt(that is the one with more problems today). they were not started since. I wante to find out some info on these pwc. before i dump more money into them.

If you did a compression test and that checked out, and their werent any strange noises, then its time to spend some money on maintenance.

You want to replace the fuel lines if they are grey and say "tempo" on them ( they rotted from the inside), Take the fuel selector switch out and clean it good, and rebuild the carbs with OEM carb kits, and new needles and seats. If the gas gauge doesnt work fix them while you are at it.

You should also take the rave valves out, disassemble and clean them, and change the pump oil.

The voltage light could be the battery so make sure its good and fully charged. If that does not fix it, it might need a rectifier.

compression done!

i done the compression 150,145. and the other 150 even. changed plugs one started fine and rev good the 150 even compression. the other has spark on plugs 1 out 6 times, the batt was low and put cables to batt. could that be the problem or anything else i should look for. when finally started it seems to run fine. but i had to take the plugs out to watch for a spark then try to start after i could get it. only started twice out 10 or 12 times it just turned with no spark to plug i will put a new batt tomorrow see if i get better results.

both have got the new fuel lines black. new oil in pump and plugs.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    your on the right track...couple of questions though

1.did you rebuild the carbs? they should fire every time at least in 5 seconds
    2.did you charge the battery with it still hooked up to the rest of the system? If you did you could have fried the MPEM's (computer)
    3. iare they salt water skis? if they are you probably need to change the ground wire from teh battery to the bottom of the engines.

you seem to have good compression and spark so you have 2 out of 3 things needed to fire so I would suggest checking the previous and see if that helps...

@Minnetonka4me...nice superman! I remember when I was younger I could do fun stuff like that! I quit the insane tricks when I perfected a back flip in the ozarks. it didnt hurt at the time but the next day was hell..the liquid courage wore off

Don't forget to check your cables especially your ground cable. High resistance can cause batt light and slow turn over.

thanks for all the info, the carbs were rebuilt by a local jet ski shop alon with pump oil change and reg. maint. i have the receipt from previous owner. (july 27 2010).

I will clean the ground wires and put a new batt on one of them, both batt were replaced by previous owner with walmart batt in september. one took charge o.k and the other didnt went to walmart and was told no warranty on marine batt.(weird). so i will buy one tomorrow at a place were they do have warrranty.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you have to replace the whole ground. even if you clean the connections the corrosion is still in the cable that you cant see and interupts connection.

Thread Information