Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 gti se 155

+1

Question 2011 gti se 155

Hello All,

I currently own a 2009 Yamaha FZR and am looking to switch to a 2011 model. Haven't had any issues with my ski but there have been far too many horror stories regarding the superchargers. From the little research I've done into the Sea Doo line it does not appear that supercharger issues are unique to Yamaha products.

With that being said I want a nice performing but more economical ski without a supercharger. Basically something that doesn't drink as much gas as my FZR but won't get passed up by a rental ski. The two contenders right now are the 2011 GTI SE 155 and the 2011 Yamaha VXR.

I was wondering if I could get opinions and information on this new ski as there doesn't seem to be much information on the net. I'm wondering what I should expect to pay for the 155, what kinda top end speed I would be looking at, and what sort of mechanical or other issues I might need to be aware of whether they are common or not.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Also I wasn't clear just by looking at the SeaDoo site but is the GTI SE 155 available in both red and black or is that the difference between the 155 and 130?

+1
    If you really want a N/A ski then look @ a Kawasaki 15f

gti se 155 all the way over the yami, i test drove both and i really liked the gti better plus you can get it with brakes its a nice feature to have on a ski. I currently own a gti se 155 and its a work horse i dog the crap out of it and it takes it like a champ. just my 2 cents.

+1
    What do you think the top end speed would be stock with a 200lb rider? You wouldn't by chance have any fuel consumption numbers for this ski would ya?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJosh View Post
    What do you think the top end speed would be stock with a 200lb rider? You wouldn't by chance have any fuel consumption numbers for this ski would ya?
    i'd say 55mph minimum

+1
    From what i have heard the new VXR is one top ski, because of its light weight hull and its NA motor witch is powered by the 1800cc powerplant. There are ups and downs on the seadoo and the yami, such as the yami has the power but the seadoo has the saftey features, such as brakes and new hull design.

The new VXR from what i heard from jerry's test ride is capable of hitting 66-67mph witch for a stock NA ski very very fast, this is comparing to the GTI witch im sure only hits around 55-56mph.

As for fuel consumption on the skis i rekon the yami will drink that bit extra fuel because of its 1800cc but dont get me wrong nothing near as bad as these supercharged beasts out there.

So really take your pick do you want a fast handling ski that dosent drink to much fuel, or do you want a go reliable GTI that will last you ages, n ot saying that the yami wont last.

Thats my point of view hope this helps

Nick...

+1
    I would highly recommend you look into the Kawasaki 15F. tried and true drivetrain. fun and fast. sipps fuel and you can have it running almost as fast as some stock sc skis with putting just a few bolt ons and probably be cheaper than either of the skis you just mentioned. Find a leftover and save even more.

This being said though I have not owned either of the two skis you mentioned. As far as having probably the closest ski to what you have now just w/o the SC stick with your Yamaha. Of these two I think the seadoo would be better on the wallet at the fuel pump.
    Recreation sea doo.... performance Yamaha.

+1
    Your decision on which ski would be better should be partially based on if you use the ski in fresh or salt water. The GTI has a closed loop cooling system which will result in longer life when used in salt or brackish water. The SD 4-tec 155 is the best engine in their lineup when it comes to dependability. It is practically problem free and gets very good gas mileage. If top speed is very important the Yammi would get the nod. While it's 1800 cc engine seems to be solid, the Nano hull is questionable. I never would purchase a ski where there is concern that strapping the transom to a trailer might cause the hull to crack !! I also do not like having the reverse on the "wrong" side and having mirrors that are not adjustable. The GTI has an entirely new hull for 2011. This hull will be the basis for the next generation RXP. Prices will vary, depending on what part of the country you reside and how hungry the dealers are.

+1
    All of my riding currently is in fresh water but it would be nice to have the peace of mind knowing that no silt or small debris are circulating through the engine. I read that the cooling system basically uses the ride plate as a heat sink. I was under the impression that the system pulled in cool water and kept it separate from the cooling system fluid, but that the exchange occurred internally. Was I wrong about this, does the system not pull any water into the ski for cooling?

My second question is regarding OPAS vs OTAS. My current understanding is:

OPAS = rudders which are deployed to assist with steering at low speed which can be problematic and affect performance.

OTAS = computer controlled throttle to assist with steering during off throttle manuvers.

From what I have read many people have removed or had trouble with the OPAS system and I am not interested in having it on the ski. The Sea-Doo website indicates the 2011 GTI SE 155 has the OTAS system but does not mention it having OPAS. Have they combined the two systems into one acronym or does the GTI SE 155 no longer come with the rudders?

+1
    I've got an '08 gti se. I really love it. Ride in salt and fresh without thinking twice. It can pull a tube or skier without a problem. Very reliable and very fun ski.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information