Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Just got a 1996 750 ZXi!

I didn't see an introduction forum, so this looked like the best spot.

I recently picked up a 1996 750 ZXi that my neighbor was going to throw away. He said he was out riding when it started to overheat and smoke horribly. He rarely rode it, so he'd rather give it away than put $100 in parts into it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 Look what I found.jpg 
Views:	1250 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	220652

I got the ski home, and found the clamp for the water cooling had busted. Put a new clamp on, hooked the ski to a hose (after starting it) and immediately flooded the exhaust manifold, water coming out of the bolts, etc. Took the exhaust u-pipe off, cleaned the gasket, and retorqued the exhaust and head bolts. No more flooding or leaks!

Name:	02 Might be an issue.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	220651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03 Engine bay.jpg 
Views:	3030 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	220654

I've done a compression check on both cylinders, reading a solid 150 psi on each cylinder. I've got the ski winterized right now, so I haven't tested it on water yet. Any other damage should be looking for? Thankfully it was a cooling overheat and not a lean condition / no oil!

Before I run it in spring I plan on replacing the head gasket and checking the condition of the pistons / cylinders. The oil pump seems mechanically sound, hooked it up to a drill to test. Gonna replace the oil lines with polyurethane lines in the spring and rebuild the carburators. Got shiny new spark plugs. Gas lines don't feel brittle, but I should probably replace those too. Ordered all new water lines from the dealership along with a new boot for the trim. Oh, the trim actually works.

Name:	04 Awesome Stand.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	220653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 Bottom.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	220650

This is my first real 'toy', so as you can tell I'm extremely excited. I've been learking / searching these forums (and a few others) for nearly a month reading as much information as I can on the ski. I learned to ride a jetski on a Waverunner 500 then withen a week started playing with my brothers 1997 Bombardier XP. I know this 750 won't compare to that monster of an XP, but I'm still excited.

Long term I want to upgrade the rideplate, some aftermarket sponsons, buy a second intake grate to mod (remove middle bar), and get an aftermarket impeller like the 13/18 Swirl with an 'Adjust-A-Thrust' nozzle.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Rodent!

Sounds like you did well! Also sounds like you're up on the potential problem areas.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to replace the trim cable boot on my STS! I'm on vacation this week and riding it, I was going to just pack it with grease until I got a replacement, but forgot to do that before I left home. I'll do it tomorrow morning.

+1
    I just sold my 96 1100zxi I loved the ski lotta fun and no never treated me wrong. Welcome aboard and welcome to the addiction haha.

+1
    Do a search on the case drain air leaks on this engine.

The little pull knob just behind the exhaust manifold opens a case drain in case the engine gets flooded. After years of non use the rubber gasket deteriorates and allow air into the case causing a lean condition

Also, this engine is about bullet proof, but oil and gas lines need to be replaced every few years

+1
    I second the need to get rid of that case drain. There are block off kits to get rid of it totally, which is the way I'd go.

Arrow

So something like this?

Name:	bded_1.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	220690

If I get water in the engine, just do the normal 'remove spark plugs and crank'? Thanks for the replies!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    So something like this?

Name:	bded_1.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	220690

If I get water in the engine, just do the normal 'remove spark plugs and crank'? Thanks for the replies!
    yes, and yes..

Nice fine

I had the same ski, sold it this year. Super reliable if you take care of the precautionary items listed above. Mine was converted to run premix.. the kit is cheap and cheaper than replacing all the lines. Something to think about.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Great ski for a great price. Enjoy it but look out.....Now I have 6 skis and ride year 'round. Welcome to the Hulk!!

Nice ! Enjoy!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information