Thread: Kawasaki STXR

Phil

Kawasaki STXR

Hi,

Basicially I am buying an STXR for my first ski.
    This is what it comes with - Ski's got umi steering,billet finger throttle , prok filters, tripple pisser kit, fuel primer ,modified intake grate and impeller ,hydroturf mats and seat ,new battery and starter motor . Ski was serviced 6 hours ago and as now done 90 hours , i did 2 hours yesterday . Ski's been painted at some time but engine is spot on and everything works as it should .

Will any of the above cause me problems?
    I have been told aftermarket filters might mean rejetting the carbs?
    And that these engines arent good for premix?

Can you give me advice as I am buying on Saturday.
    Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Phil.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Does it have the original carbs on it? It's odd to have aftermarket FA's and a primer if the carbs are OEM.

Keep the oil injection, you'll read everywhere about the oil injection needed for the two balancers (I think). The oil injection system is fine and I've never read of one failing (not saying one hasn't, but I think it would be very very rare)

90 hours is not a lot. What year model is it?

Phil

STXR

Its a 2003 model.
    Do you have an STXR?
    It does have oil pump my mistake. And carbs should be fine so the guy says. What does a fuel primer do?

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, I have owned mine since new (2005 model). They are basically the same though (I think mine has a bigger fuel tank??).

The primer is a little pump that squirts fuel into the carbs. If it's on OEM carbs it may be a sign of something is wrong. The OEM Carbs have a choke and I've never had starting problems. I now have aftermarket carbs without the choke, so the primer is needed.

The original carbs have a vacuum slide inside the carb. Changes to the Flame Arrestor changes the fuel metering (eg less restrictive causes a lean situation from what I've read). It's not recommended. I've heard Skiworx can mod them so you can use PROK Flame Arrestors but I probably wouldn't do that.

If you can find out more about why the carbs are setup like that, and how long it's been that way, that may help answer some questions.

Other than that, the STX-R is a VERY good ski. It's probably underrated by those that have never owned one or ridden them for any length of time.

Good luck

Mal.

I am converting my Ultra 150 to STX-R this winter. Same moter different hull. I can't wait to get mine together and see what I have been missing. I race so I needed to upgrade to get a better all around handling ski. I might have a lose on peak speed but it will make that up in handling.

How long have the carbs been setup that way? If it has been awhile they might have been moded already for the F/A's. If you want to get more out of it get some after market carbs. There are plenty of us with the 1200 that have done it and can help you out. You will take on some additional headache getting them tuned at first but you will love the new powerband they will give you.

Phil

STXR

Hi,

I will try and find out more info on the carbs. I bought it last weekend and I love it.
    Someone off here has offered me a R&D rideplate for just postage which is really good.
    Can someone tell me where to get Kawasaki STXR original decals/graphics from?

Cheers Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil1987uk View Post
    Hi,

I will try and find out more info on the carbs. I bought it last weekend and I love it.
    Someone off here has offered me a R&D rideplate for just postage which is really good.
    Can someone tell me where to get Kawasaki STXR original decals/graphics from?

Cheers Phil.
    I'm a little late on this post but Exotic Signs can do the original decals for you.

Phil
    Okay cheers for that mate, I will have a look.

Thread Information