Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

RXP-X only O.P.A.S. ?'s

I know I know know..... You guys are thinking ANOTHER O.P.A.S topic. The nerve of this guy for starting one!!!

Actually I have a question about the o.p.a.s., but only in regards to the RXP-X. I've read for hours, literally hours and did searches on here regarding this and can't find anything concrete regarding the P-X model.

I've noticed alot of individuals complaining about porpoising on an RXP after installing the o.p.a.s. block off plates, but not much, if any, talk about them on an RXP-X. Yes the cheap dreaded plates that cover the holes, and not attempt to fill the void in the hull like the RE and Riva Pro's do. I basically got them on trade...thats the only reason I installed them. I just hate to go out with the other mods I did in search of a little more mph and have the ski porpoise as a result of the cheap block offs. I've read where RXP skis porpoise regardless at speeds over 75mph and more with them, and that the RXP-X ski really doesn't porpoise... I wasn't sure if trying these block off plates would make it porpoise at any speed. Or if it would once you get around the 80mph mark, or when would it begin to porpoise if they ever do. I do have the Riva 2 degree wedge if this makes a difference, or possibly would porpoise sooner.

In a nutshell, I'm limited on time to go out and test the ski, so I wanted to avoid at all cost going out and being aggravated as a result of it porpoising because of these plates. I'm sorry for posting yet another o.p.a.s. topic, but this one is specifically targeted for RXP-X skis and the results using the cheap block off plates only.

Thanks as always for any input, it's much appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksalles View Post
    I know I know know..... You guys are thinking ANOTHER O.P.A.S topic. The nerve of this guy for starting one!!!

Actually I have a question about the o.p.a.s., but only in regards to the RXP-X. I've read for hours, literally hours and did searches on here regarding this and can't find anything concrete regarding the P-X model.

I've noticed alot of individuals complaining about porpoising on an RXP after installing the o.p.a.s. block off plates, but not much, if any, talk about them on an RXP-X. Yes the cheap dreaded plates that cover the holes, and not attempt to fill the void in the hull like the RE and Riva Pro's do. I basically got them on trade...thats the only reason I installed them. I just hate to go out with the other mods I did in search of a little more mph and have the ski porpoise as a result of the cheap block offs. I've read where RXP skis porpoise regardless at speeds over 75mph and more with them, and that the RXP-X ski really doesn't porpoise... I wasn't sure if trying these block off plates would make it porpoise at any speed. Or if it would once you get around the 80mph mark, or when would it begin to porpoise if they ever do. I do have the Riva 2 degree wedge if this makes a difference, or possibly would porpoise sooner.

In a nutshell, I'm limited on time to go out and test the ski, so I wanted to avoid at all cost going out and being aggravated as a result of it porpoising because of these plates. I'm sorry for posting yet another o.p.a.s. topic, but this one is specifically targeted for RXP-X skis and the results using the cheap block off plates only.

Thanks as always for any input, it's much appreciated.
    The one's you got are the best for top straight line speed but you sacrifice some handling with them.

The others improve handling and possibly stop porpoising. Install them and your Wedge/Rod and go test. Just a little advice here, I have the one's that are not made anymore that fill in the whole gap and the first time I rode I was like HOLY **** so I can only imagine what those would feel like on your first time out.

Stay away from fixed objects until you feel comfortable on how the ski turns etc.

+1
    I had the wedge installed already, just added the block off plates and adjustable nozzle. It didn't really porpoise before with my set up, so I was mainly concerned with is if the block off plates alone would make it porpoise. I had read on the RXP models it did, but couldn't find info on an X ski that added them and whether or not it made their ski porpoise. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    The one's you got are the best for top straight line speed but you sacrifice some handling with them....Install them and your Wedge/Rod and go test

The others improve handling and possibly stop porpoising.....

+1
    I have never ran those BOs but I would guess that you wouldn't notice any difference. These were simply sold to get rid of the OPAS to allow for other internal engine bay mods. No gains or loses by using them...., as far as porpoising...

+1
    Thats what I was hoping for...no porpoising directly as a result of installing them. I just came across several topics where guys said they started porpoising after installing them on RXP skis. I must have read and searched for hours. At this point I'm just in the hunt for more mph and didn't want these to put a halt to my progress. I know the RE or Riva pros would be a much better choice for handling, but at this point I'm basically just using what I got my hands on. Thanks again guys for the responses....any more input is still appreciated regarding them on X skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    I have never ran those BOs but I would guess that you wouldn't notice any difference. These were simply sold to get rid of the OPAS to allow for other internal engine bay mods. No gains or loses by using them...., as far as porpoising...

+1
    I think the X boats stay planted slightly better from the factory due to the large wings on the grate. I can remember getting the best ride with the trim set at 2 clicks above center before installing the Riva Pro BOs, after the upgrade along with the Riva wedge I was able to run the ski trimmed full up in the flats with max speed gains. I know the REs and the Riva Pros are expensive but are well worth the money. These are prob the best addition you can add to the ski for best handling results at WOT, money well spent. If you can afford the upgrade bite the bullet and install a set, you will be satisfied with the results. Sure makes the ski stay planted better in the chop, planted means speed gains!!!!

+1
    I never ran the "just" BOs, first. I have seen some guys running them at the Hydrodrags last year I think on PXs only. I had my OPAS on my ski up into the 83mph range. I tried unhooking the OPAS and maybe...only gained .2mph and thats a big maybe.

I have the RIVA Pro-BOs on my ski now and I am thinking(JMO) the REs and the FG BOs are overkill on a PX at least up to high 80s.

+1
    Sounds good. Thats what I was wondering...how they did on X skis. I just wanted them off mostly for looks and was hoping it didn't make it porpoise.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    I never ran the "just" BOs, first. I have seen some guys running them at the Hydrodrags last year I think on PXs only....I tried unhooking the OPAS and maybe...only gained .2mph and thats a big maybe.

I have the RIVA Pro-BOs on my ski now and I am thinking(JMO) the REs and the FG BOs are overkill on a PX at least up to high 80s.

+1
    If the weather permits I'll test the ski tomorrow morning with the adjustable nozzle and now with the o.p.a.s. removed and block off plates installed. The weather isn't great, so I'm not sure how the air will be. Not as cool as I would like it, but i want to see how the ski responds either way.

On a side note and for those interested or wondering, removing the o.p.a.s. and all its hardware removed 7lbs from the ski.

+1
    Well...the verdict is in. Long story short, RE block offs are on order. The ski does feel totally different with the o.p.a.s. removed....that I will say. The only problem is the ski wants to bounce (porpoise) in the upper 70's mph. Right off the trailer with the 81mm nozzle the ski ran 79.0mph with minimal bouncing. There was a decent amount of fuel so I'm assuming thats why the ski didn't bounce much, or at least bounce out of control. After riding the ski around to run some fuel out and see how it handled with the o.p.a.s. removed I was ready to see what it would do on low fuel. Last time out with the 83mm nozzle, the ski ran to the limiter. With the 81mm the ski ran 8120. I tried the 82mm in search of a few tenths being I was leaving a few rpms on the table and it did the same thing...bounce bounce bounce. It got frustrating so I packed it up and came home. I honestly believe the ski will go faster with lower fuel and the RE block offs to control the porpoising. It was also hot with some fairly high humidity levels, which didn't help rpm. In some colder air with the 81mm, I believe it will turn more rpms which will essentually should give it more mph and the RE block offs should control the porpoising. Time will tell. I have a video coming to show the mph and how bouncing affected speed.

At this point, I'm interested in just how fast a stock charger, stock ecu, stock motor X ski can go with minimal mods bolted on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information