Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Just want to ride.
    +1

C1, Stock Prop - 79 today. :)

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either - I had to run it back to back a couple of times to be convinced I saw what my GPS said correctly.

I'm running the R&D Stage 1.75 kit.

I've got the R3 Reflash, C-1 Impeller, the Pro Series Intercooler with Greddy BOV, Riva Air Intake (and the spark arrestor removed) and the R&D Intake Grate, Ride Plate, and Sponsons.

I'm running the OEM prop, OEM cooling, Etc. Pretty basic setup so far - no extra water lines/valves, etc.

Oh, I also have added the TBM stuffer setup - almost forgot that.

My goal was to be high 70s on the C-1; I really started out after the C-3 but talking to Glenn and reading the forum, decided to 'start simple' and see what the results were first.

On the stock plate, I was running as high as 75.9; I switched over to the R&D and saw 77.7 as a top speed last week.

Yesterday I added the VTS trim adjustment, and tested again today. 78+ consistently with low fuel, and a peak of 79.1 (saw 79.0 as well)

My only 2 concerns now are -

1. I haven't solved the oscillation at higher speeds yet with the plate - I tried trim up, down, and with the spacers installed. It isn't terrible, but it's not comfortable either - I adjusted the nozzle again tonight, and will retest next time out to see if that helps any.
    2. I'm turning as high as 8640 in our freezing ass air now. 50deg today. I've got a swirl out at Impros for a pitch change, and am hoping between them and TBM I can get this on soon to bring my RPM down slightly.......

Otherwise, damn. This thing is pretty fast for basic stuff.

THANKS R&D!!!!!!!!

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by washingtonrider View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't believe it either - I had to run it back to back a couple of times to be convinced I saw what my GPS said correctly.

I've got the R3 Reflash, C-1 Impeller, the Pro Series Intercooler with Greddy BOV, Riva Air Intake (and the spark arrestor removed) and the R&D Intake Grate, Ride Plate, and Sponsons.

I'm running the OEM prop, OEM cooling, Etc. Pretty basic setup so far - no extra water lines/valves, etc.

My goal was to be high 70s on the C-1; I really started out after the C-3 but talking to Glenn and reading the forum, decided to 'start simple' and see what the results were first.

On the stock plate, I was running as high as 75.9; I switched over to the R&D and saw 77.7 as a top speed last week.

Yesterday I added the VTS trim adjustment, and tested again today. 78+ consistently with low fuel, and a peak of 79.1 (saw 79.0 as well)

1. I haven't solved the oscillation at higher speeds yet with the plate - I tried trim up, down, and with the spacers installed. It isn't terrible, but it's not comfortable either - I adjusted the nozzle again tonight, and will retest next time out to see if that helps any.
    2. I'm turning as high as 8640 in our freezing ass air now. 50deg today. I've got a swirl out at Impros for a pitch change, and am hoping between them and TBM I can get this on soon to bring my RPM down slightly.......

THANKS R&D!!!!!!!!

Sean
    Great job Sean, yes, you have a good start.

While R & D puts out some great products, and I use a few of their products on my boats, I am not a big fan of their ride plate and causes more porpoising than my modified stock plate. I also feel the modified stock ride plate is a good overall plate for carving in river riding the twisties and the next day I can ride off shore, and not touch a thing don't come nearly unhooked as much as the R & D plate.

I would curious to what kind of boost you are making turning those RPMs and the cool temps.

If you not going to add more boost than the C1, the R3 was probably a waste IMO.

What are you talking about TBM? Edit: Sorry, I know now that you are talking about the pump cone. I would like to hear more results on this, but it sounds VERY promising.

Banned User
    +1
    ? Do you get water in your hull when you ride. most all fzs do. the mystery leak is in the transom, ride plate braketts and front intake grate brakett. The white stuff yama uses just does not stick to alumim. I think the bouncing might be because the transom is leaking. i do not get any bounce without any shimms on my r and d plate. Its faster on top end but handels the chop really good. A very unusal combation but the best kind.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    ? Do you get water in your hull when you ride. most all fzs do. the mystery leak is in the transom, ride plate braketts and front intake grate brakett. The white stuff yama uses just does not stick to alumim. I think the bouncing might be because the transom is leaking. i do not get any bounce without any shimms on my r and d plate. Its faster on top end but handels the chop really good. A very unusal combation but the best kind.
    Another possible common source of the leak is the intermediate housing. Also kind of strange to think that a leaking transom plate could cause bad bouncing. Not saying you're wrong, but just don't understand how that could be the culprit. Can you explain further?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Another possible common source of the leak is the intermediate housing. Also kind of strange to think that a leaking transom plate could cause bad bouncing. Not saying you're wrong, but just don't understand how that could be the culprit. Can you explain further?
    When the gpr would get a small leak the buck or bounce would return. The transom can allow air into the equasion at high speed( pump losing prime) smooth water. this can cause alot of handling problems depending on the ski. The ultra 150 was the worst for this. Have not experienced on the fzr but its a common thing it should be sealed.

+1
    Good job Sean. Congrats!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by washingtonrider View Post

THANKS R&D!!!!!!!!

Sean
    i think you need to try another ride plate or some diferent shiming
    my best so far with stock boost and prop is 79.1 and when i checked the log my revs hit a high of 8420
    so i don't know what extra speed those 220 revs would get but maybe close to 80 or over
    my full list of mods are as follows
    Riva free flow (exhaust and filter), manifold upgrade, gary watson intercooler, gary watson engine and intercooler cooling mods, VX ride plate(with speedo hole filled) + R&D grate
    and motec

kev
    Last edited by fx160; 11-11-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: forgot to add r&d grate

Just want to ride.
    +1
    [QUOTE=SHOdude;1590647]Great job Sean, yes, you have a good start.

While R & D puts out some great products, and I use a few of their products on my boats, I am not a big fan of their ride plate and causes more porpoising than my modified stock plate. I also feel the modified stock ride plate is a good overall plate for carving in river riding the twisties and the next day I can ride off shore, and not touch a thing don't come nearly unhooked as much as the R & D plate.

I would curious to what kind of boost you are making turning those RPMs and the cool temps.

If you not going to add more boost than the C1, the R3 was probably a waste IMO.

I'm wondering a little about the boost as well - I have been thinking about getting a dynotune gauge so I can monitor the boost levels at different RPM. I'm pretty sure a C-3 is in my future, so that would make for an interesting comparison.

I went with the R3 so I would have the option in the future to upgrade to the C-3 and Twin Props. I rarely see the smooth water I have had the last couple of rides, and intended to start with that setup - essentially the stage 2 kit. I just happened to have a C-1 on my shelf, so I wanted to start there, then upgrade if I wanted/needed to.

I hear you about the ride plate - I've been switching between the stocker, the R&D, and Jim's modified VX plate (the fastest so far, but not rideable in MHO) to see the differences in handling, etc. Don't know much about the modified stock plate - did you have Jim do that? I want the nose planted, and don't care as much about absolute top end - I can add power easily........

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Good job Sean. Congrats!
    Thanks Jerry!

And thanks for selling me some parts, too!

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    i think you need to try another ride plate or some diferent shiming
    my best so far with stock boost and prop is 79.1 and when i checked the log my revs hit a high of 8420
    so i don't know what extra speed those 220 revs would get but maybe close to 80 or over
    my full list of mods are as follows
    Riva free flow (exhaust and filter), manifold upgrade, gary watson intercooler, gary watson engine and intercooler cooling mods, VX ride plate(with speedo hole filled) + R&D grate
    and motec

kev
    Thanks for the feedback kev - I am still working on my setup - I'm not 100% happy yet. I hear you on the RPM/Speed thing - funny, I ran 8640 last Wednesday on the same plate with 2 shims, and ran 77.2 - added the R&D VTS Cam, removed the shims, and ran 79. I've been over 78 with Jim's VX plate, but the boat was so unstable up top I took that off. On my stocker, I've only seen 76 so far.

I'm thinking that a skat swirl pitched up a degree or two over stock will get me down on RPM, and up slightly on speed. If I can figure out this 'bounce' I'll be one happy man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information