Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Opening up the Closed Loop

What needs to be done to do this? ... I know there's no reason to do this particularly unless you're doing a XPL or GPR project with a 4-tec like Rapidacceleration and hydrotoys, but I'm inquiring.

What needs to be done to the thermostat? Do you use the water pump? Do you need to get a separate water line from the pump?

Daniel, ya out there! Give me the low down, what needs to be done

+1
    If you figure it out let me know.

Apparently I have kooties and can't get anyone to help out.

+1
    I THINK Daniel is the only one i know of that has done it... but he has resources and machinery that I cant even dream of...

I imagine we could come off the pump after the intercooler and go thru the motor and piss it out the side.. the water would still be cool enough after the intercooler without a doubt.

the obstacle is do we remove the thermostat housing, do we remove the water pump impeller, and I'd have to just study the cooling of the motor so see the route of passages. I don't imagine it's that impossible... we'll figure it out, just looking for some pointers or step-by-step from someone thats done it

I'm gonna sit here for a bit and look at some diagrams and see what I can figure out.

+1
    I wouldn't think you'd want to run without a thermostat as you'd have such a varied engine temp. Wouldn't you want to keep the temp as close to what you tuned the engine to?

+1
    good point r-doo....

+1
    Les Cooke has done it to his race craft. I don't know how friendly this is for a recreational craft. However, I can't get them to even answer if they offer a kit for sale.

RXP vendors are a squirley bunch. It's tough for me to spend money.

by running lake water through the motor instaead of coolant wouldnt it make the motor run alot cooler and more efficient. id assume the lake water would be quite a bit cooler then collant rerouting itself right?

+1
    4 Strokes need to maintain operating temperature to run efficiently. 160+ degrees. Its very tricky going with open loop on these things as Les Cooke has found. He has this little servo attached to a ball valve that is controlled by his Autronics ECU. The servo is constantly adjusting the ball valve to maintain operating temp.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    4 Strokes need to maintain operating temperature to run efficiently. 160+ degrees. Its very tricky going with open loop on these things as Les Cooke has found. He has this little servo attached to a ball valve that is controlled by his Autronics ECU. The servo is constantly adjusting the ball valve to maintain operating temp.

Well, I'm glad you got that out of him and thanks for sharing. All I got was monkey grunts, and smokey references to "their boats." Must be that language difference...

Sounds like I need to come up with something else anyway. I don't like complexity. If Kawi and Yami can do it on a 4stroke, I'm sure it can be done on a Rotax as well....without all the bells and whistles.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys View Post
    Sounds like I need to come up with something else anyway. I don't like complexity. If Kawi and Yami can do it on a 4stroke, I'm sure it can be done on a Rotax as well....without all the bells and whistles.
    i was coming here to type exactly that... if yami and kawi do it why the heck not.... the next question is do they use a thermostat in their open loop to control temps at all? or is it just like a 2stroke with constant water flowing thru it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information