+1

How to repair glovebox lid gpr1200, any tricks, i need to fix mine

I just got a glove box lid today for my 2001 gpr1200, and the tabs to mount it are broken, does anyone have any tricks to repair these, i was thinking a metal bracket would be much better, than the crappy plastic, please let me know if u guys have a solution thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waverider1200 View Post
    I just got a glove box lid today for my 2001 gpr1200, and the tabs to mount it are broken, does anyone have any tricks to repair these, i was thinking a metal bracket would be much better, than the crappy plastic, please let me know if u guys have a solution thanks
    I built some metal reinforcements and epoxyed them to the lid. It worked but your better off getting a new/used lid.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waverider1200 View Post
    The metal bracket U speak of can work but do it out of aluminum so it doesn't rust! Have never dealt with your situation. Maybe J-b weld the broken tabs? or epoxy like the woodster said!Lee

+1

thanks for the quick replys

ill try to mock something up, was looking at those carbon fiber wrapped lids also, cool looking, was thinking of going that route

+1

i made metal bracket and liquid nailed it to lid!! works great!!!

all u need to do this repair is the original mounting plastic tab from the broken bracket, just measure up the hole height and find a suitable bracket, drill the holes and glue it on!!! mine was pretty easy!!! i had to use a bench vise, sawsall, round metal grinder, liquid nails, and painters tape. step1 find a suitable bracket. i used a metal bracet thats had a one inch wide mounting area by 2 inches long,STEP2 i cut the sides to 90 degree, STEP3 place the original mountig tabs next to the new metal bracket , and with i marker, mark the spot for the holes on each side, make sure they are even!!, STEP4 at this point i used the round metal grinder and ground off all the extra metal to make the metal round above the drill spot, (u want it to match the originals so the hatch will close right!!) once u get it right the new bracket will sit flush when u put the lid on it, STEP6 once u feel the lid is level and all sides look even, get ur glue, (i used liquid nails) and put it on the bottom of the glove box lid, and the top of the bracket, and line up the glove box lid perfectly then press down firmly, STEP7 use the blue painters tape and secure the lid in place, STEP 8 LET IT DRY!!! DO NOT TOUCH!! i let mine cure overnight and the next day it was good to go!! hope this helps someone

+1
    You can reinforce with a thin SS flat washer on the opening using expoy resin then cover both sides with epoxy and let it flow over the entire tab itself and past the base were the tab is connected to the lid. I think im going to do this, especially after i had this one painted.

Thread Information