Low Compression on ALL Cylinders....won't idle - 2005 RXT

Hey folks - took my 2005 RXT into dealer for winterization (live in Canada) and a no idle problem that showed up end of summer. Checked with the dealer today and they said that there was low compression on all three cylinders and that they were going to do a leakdown test next. They are talking engine rebuild ($3500 or so).
    The weird thing is that the ski worked great long after the no idle problem showed up - lots of power and no reduction in top speed. The ski has only 92 hours on it.
    I am wondering if anyone has experienced this and what the problem could be.
    I am thinking that the timing may be off a bit so at TDC the valves being open a bit results in lower compression.
    Thoughts? Should I get a second opinion?
    MJ

check your retainers,

+1
    What compression are you getting exactly? Do you have a compression tester or know of anyone that can do it for you?

I recommend stearing away from the dealer which all they do is remove and replace and won't do what is best like boring the block and putting in 10 over aftermarket pistons which will be cheaper then a new block and stock pistons. Oh and their labor charges are pretty steep too. I would find a performance place by where you live and let them do it. I don't trust dealer's too much.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    What compression are you getting exactly? Do you have a compression tester or know of anyone that can do it for you?

I recommend stearing away from the dealer which all they do is remove and replace and won't do what is best like boring the block and putting in 10 over aftermarket pistons which will be cheaper then a new block and stock pistons. Oh and their labor charges are pretty steep too. I would find a performance place by where you live and let them do it. I don't trust dealer's too much.
    + 1 on the dealer situation. I would personally verify the compression situatuion as well, buy a cheap gauge if you have to.... certain dealers will tell you all kind of crap. Its odd that all three cylinders lost compression at the same time, its happens but rare. I would do a leak down test as well.

UPDATE from MJACK

Just got a call from the dealer. He stated that there was air escaping from an "electronic idle control valve" and they tried one from another Doo they had there and it fixed the idle issue.....Has ordered one in and is about $300 installed - will let me know when done.
    I asked about the low compression and if they heard air throught the valves. I could hear him shrugging his shoulders over the phone. He said that once they "solved the problem" they didn't check any further.....I will take the "find a speed shop" advice and not go back to this dealer.
    I will let you all know what the final bill was for these geniuses to stumble through this.

MJ

+1
    Yeah, that's usually what most dealers will do. Not saying all are like that but most are. They just put a bandaid over it and call it a day. Either that or they tell you that you need a new motor. You are definitely better off finding a good and reputable performance shop near you that works on Seadoos. Good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post

+2 on the (Magical Mistry Tour) dealership runaround.
    Don't get me wrong...There are some good Dealerships out there.....

take a look at the starter thread at the top of the General Discussion page. "recomended dealerships" (and not) http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...Seadoo-Dealers

my 2 cents.

+1
    I think he means the tps sensor,if it's bad you won't idle very well.
    Tps can be reset trough buds,did you check the oem parts store about the cost of the parts?

Quote Originally Posted by MJACK View Post
    Just got a call from the dealer. He stated that there was air escaping from an "electronic idle control valve" and they tried one from another Doo they had there and it fixed the idle issue.....Has ordered one in and is about $300 installed - will let me know when done.
    I asked about the low compression and if they heard air throught the valves. I could hear him shrugging his shoulders over the phone. He said that once they "solved the problem" they didn't check any further.....I will take the "find a speed shop" advice and not go back to this dealer.
    I will let you all know what the final bill was for these geniuses to stumble through this.

MJ

+1
    Where in Canada do you live???

Update and end to saga by mjack

Got a call from the Dealer today and they said that my ski is ready to be picked up.
    They said that the part that needed to be replaced was the IC Motor Solenoid and the the ski is idling along great now. He then quickly reminded me that this problem didn't show up on a code so they had to check all of the "little" things to find it. (at one point he said that I would likely need an engine rebuild!)
    Total cost to winterize the ski and fix the idle = a whopping $930.83!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an expensive lesson to learn. That $930.83 will be the total revenue for the life of this customer as I will never go back there again. &$(%*&@#$&^*%(

Thread Information