Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is my Ski a lemon - 250X

Hi

I bought my 250X new 2 years ago and it has been an endless money pit ever since. In the 106 weeks I've owned it, it has been unusable for 41 weeks either being repaired, waiting for parts, or scheduled for repair.

It has never been raced, I just go out for social club runs every Sunday (except when it's broken down)

It has done 158 hours now and has had

Steering system serviced and adjusted - sloppy steering
    Bearings in the Super Charger replaced - siezed
    The mount bracket for the Super Charger repaired - broken
    3 x SC belts - each broke, one in less than 20 hours
    4 x coils each on seperate occassions
    Checked and tested for reasons for coils burning out - no fault found, but it continues to burn out coils.
    The engine striped and repaired from burnt out exhaust valves - no explanation, it did come back with rusty bolts though
    Spark plugs every 25 hours, I've now been told to replace them every 20 hours - no explanation
    1 x set of Plug leads
    Steering stop replaced

It is getting worse now and it breaks down every second or third trip out, I always wash it down inside and out flush it for about 10 minutes, use fogging oil, run it on 98 RON fuel, have it serviced.

I'm scared to use it because it costs me hundreds and hundreds of dollars every time I go out, it's more expensive than a drug adiction.....

Any clues from anyone

Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave S; 11-19-2010 at 02:07 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Hi

I bought my 250X new 2 years ago and it has been an endless money pit ever since. In the 106 weeks I've owned it, it has been unusable for 41 weeks either being repaired, waiting for parts, or scheduled for repair.

It has never been raced, I just go out for social club runs every Sunday (except when it's broken down)

3 x SC belts - each broke one in less than 20 hours
    Checked and tested for reasons for coils burning out - no fault found, but it continues to burn out coils.
    The engine striped and repaired from burnt out exhaust valves - no explanation, it did come back with rusty bolts though
    Spark plugs every 25 hours, I've now been told to replace them every 20 hours - no explanation
    1 x set of Plug leads
    Steering stop replaced

It is getting worse now and it breaks down every second or third trip out, I always wash it down inside and out flush it for about 10 minutes, use fogging oil, run it on 98 RON fuel, have it serviced.

I'm scared to use it because it costs me hundreds and hundreds of dollars every time I go out, it's more expensive than a drug adiction.....

Any clues from anyone

Thanks
    Dave
    Sell it? Trade it in? Those skis are hit or miss. Unfortunately you fall on the miss side. GET RID OF IT

It was the best decision I have made while owning a PWC.

+1
    Wow, I don't know much about Kawasakis as to what is common problem areas for your model but this is ridiculous. I think your best recourse is to contact Kawaski's rep and take it from there, perhaps they can give you a killer deal on a new one or trade it in for a Yami , sorry for pointing out the obvious.

+1
    That is some major bad luck pal, a cowboy mate of mine who used to say if a horse bucks you off 3 times in a days muster, sell it or shoot it. Yours is way past that, hope your watercraft luck improves.

...It has done 158 hours now and has had
    How did each of your three SC belts break in less than 20 hours but you have 158hrs on your ski?

Sorry, I'm just giving you a hard time. Yeah I don't know what to say about that ski. My 250X still runs good at 220hrs but from what I have heard that may not be very common. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

+1
    Hi

1 x set of Plug leads
    Steering stop replaced

Any clues from anyone

Thanks
    Dave
    Dave, sounds to me like whoever is doing the work is S L O W....
    Here are my thoughts on what you've mentioned.

-belts breaking are typically due to over tightening them. 3 belts in 158 hours is actually pretty good as far as I'm concerned. I used to change mine at the start of the season (30-40 hours ea.) just to try to avoid problems. I'd even guess the bracket breaking is due to the belt being to tight too.
    -The supercharger is known to be junk so it doesn't suprise me that you had to have one replaced. However, Even Seadoo specs a supercharger rebuild at 100 hours.
    -Coils I have never heard of burning out...
    -Valves on these skis have been hit or miss for sure.
    -Spark plugs every 20 hours is what I did too as maintenance...no biggie.
    -sloppy steering has more to do with the crappy, cheap POS plastic tilt setup. This was the first thing I changed out, swapping it with the fixed 15f neck.

Overall, for your hours those repairs don't sound all that bad to me. The Ultra does require quite a bit more attention than most skis. But I wouldn't consider what your seeing as a "lemon"..

+1
    Is your ski a lemon?
    Firstly is it a female ski? if so does it sleep with other female ski's?

Aussie humour.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post
    How did each of your three SC belts break in less than 20 hours but you have 158hrs on your ski?

Sorry, I'm just giving you a hard time. Yeah I don't know what to say about that ski. My 250X still runs good at 220hrs but from what I have heard that may not be very common. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    3 x SC belts - each broke, one in less than 20 hours - Fixed

Thanks guys.

I'll write to Kawasaki and CC the letter to Kawasaki Japan, anyone have a name and email of someone of importance.

Thanks
    Dave

+1
    is it yellow then it would be a lemon

Hi

I bought my 250X new 2 years ago and it has been an endless money pit ever since. In the 106 weeks I've owned it, it has been unusable for 41 weeks either being repaired, waiting for parts, or scheduled for repair. so you have ridden every second weekend thats not to bad in my book

Steering system serviced and adjusted - sloppy steering all have it but no big deal
    Bearings in the Super Charger replaced - siezed hit and miss
    The mount bracket for the Super Charger repaired - broken mine broke the rear mount off
    3 x SC belts - each broke one in less than 20 hours possibly due too broken mount and s/c failure, that would be normal
    4 x coils each on seperate occassions never heard of it but hope you arent being taken for a ride
    Checked and tested for reasons for coils burning out - no fault found, but it continues to burn out coils. never heard of it
    The engine striped and repaired from burnt out exhaust valves - no explanation, it did come back with rusty bolts though thats why you get them serviced thats normal wear and tear
    Spark plugs every 25 hours, I've now been told to replace them every 20 hours - no explanation rubbish never had to replace a set yet because they failed
    1 x set of Plug leads why more than likely your mechanic replaced them during fault finding a problem
    Steering stop replaced why

Any clues from anyone most of what you have explained is common but can be prevented with proper maintenance and care sounds to me just normal wear and tear and possibly your mechanic replacing things that dont need to be replaced or not doing his job correctly

Thanks
    Dave

It must be a Lime then

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    is it yellow then it would be a lemon
    Hi

I bought my 250X new 2 years ago and it has been an endless money pit ever since. In the 106 weeks I've owned it, it has been unusable for 41 weeks either being repaired, waiting for parts, or scheduled for repair. so you have ridden every second weekend thats not to bad in my book - Do you work or ride for Kawasaki how would you consider that a not bad result. Really are all of them that bad ?

Steering system serviced and adjusted - sloppy steering all have it but no big deal
    Bearings in the Super Charger replaced - siezed hit and miss
    The mount bracket for the Super Charger repaired - broken mine broke the rear mount off- mine broke the forward mount
    3 x SC belts - each broke one in less than 20 hours possibly due too broken mount and s/c failure, that would be normal- I think the mount broke when the bearings seized, but when the other 2 belts broke all was Ok
    4 x coils each on seperate occassions never heard of it but hope you arent being taken for a ride- No I'm sure it's legit because one that failed I replaced it myself and it's pretty easy to diagnose once youv'e had so many fail, it's not the same one each time either both have failed twice.
    Checked and tested for reasons for coils burning out - no fault found, but it continues to burn out coils. never heard of it
    The engine striped and repaired from burnt out exhaust valves - no explanation, it did come back with rusty bolts though thats why you get them serviced thats normal wear and tear- Serviced every 25hr's - now that the plugs have to be replaced every 20 I'm not sure if I should get it serviced every 20 ?
    Spark plugs every 25 hours, I've now been told to replace them every 20 hours - no explanation rubbish never had to replace a set yet because they failed- This is what I'm talking about. If it's rubbish for you and the truth for me then there must be a problem with my ski and no one seems to want to do anything about it other than keep charging me thousands of dollars to fix it. The plugs won't go 30 hours before it starts to break down.
    1 x set of Plug leads why more than likely your mechanic replaced them during fault finding a problem- The core of the leads were eaten away from the cap
    Steering stop replaced why - The square post hole that drives from the steering shaft in the middle chewed out

Any clues from anyone most of what you have explained is common but can be prevented with proper maintenance and care sounds to me just normal wear and tear and possibly your mechanic replacing things that dont need to be replaced or not doing his job correctly- I have had it to the 3 Kawasaki dealers within 50 miles of my house and also to one non Kawasaki dealer. None can find the problem they just keep fixing what ever breaks. I do everything they ask me to do after a ride.

Thanks
    Dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information