Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Water transfer hydro dipping

Hey guys. Here is a new service I am going to be offering to you guys in a week or two, probably close to two. I'm sure this is going to take off pretty quick.

I am going to be offer water transfer hydro dipping. This is a process were a film with a design, such as camouflage or carbon fiber is put in water. A special activator is sprayed over the film to dissolve the paper, leaving the ink residing in the water. The part is then pushed down into the water and past the film. The design grabs onto the part and transfers to it. The ink is then on the part. Parts will probably be clear coated afterwords to provide a long lasting finish.

Here is a video of what I am talking about:
    http://turbo.discovery.com/beyond/?p...eId=1370859138

Stuff to get done would be like front storage lids in maybe a carbon fiber pattern. Hoods, Side knee panels. Anything is possible. Any surfaces can be done also. There are a variety of prints available. I just figured carbon fiber look would be a top choice. My supplier has 40+ designs available.

I will update the thread later this week hopefully with a sample piece and what it looks like.

Thankx, Nick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak_039A View Post
    Hey guys. Here is a new service I am going to be offering to you guys in a week or two, probably close to two. I'm sure this is going to take off pretty fast so I will have to speak to the mods about offering my service and see if I need to be a sponsor or not.

I am going to be offer water transfer hydro dipping. This is a process were a film with a design, such as camouflage or carbon fiber is put in water. A special activator is sprayed over the film to dissolve the paper, leaving the ink residing in the water. The part is then pushed down into the water and past the film. The design grabs onto the part and transfers to it. The ink is then on the part. Parts will probably be clear coated afterwords to provide a long lasting finish.

Here is a video of what I am talking about:
    http://turbo.discovery.com/beyond/?p...eId=1370859138

Stuff to get done would be like front storage lids in maybe a carbon fiber pattern. Hoods, Side knee panels. Anything is possible. Any surfaces can be done also. There are a variety of prints available. I just figured carbon fiber look would be a top choice. My supplier has 40+ designs available.

I will update the thread later this week hopefully with a sample piece and what it looks like.

Thankx, Nick
    That's awsome, we need that in Australia!

nice...a guy from one of my RC forums was supposed to do me some work but then disappeared...as long as your prices are decent im in...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    When you can dip a ski let me know!

+1
    A carbon fiber dipped hood would be sweet!

That is really cool

+1
    That is very cool!!! What are the prices going to be Lee

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Good to hear, Nick's work is always top notch, he's real good at what he does.

+1
    wow! that is very impressive!

+1
    Hey guys. Thankx for all the positive comments. I was doing some research on the topic. This is a very new process for shops and people. Its finally coming down slowly from the OEM manufactures like Yamaha and Car manufactures. They have been doing it for years on automotive trim pieces, any cars with wood grain accents. And ATV manufactures doing camo on their quads and such.

In my searching I seen prices vary from $.50cents a sq" to $.75cents a sq". It all depends on the application most likely and prep needed to the part. For example a table that would get eaten off of would get 5-6 coats of clear coat. A trim piece for a jetski might just get 1-3 coats of clear. I am new to the process so I cant comment exactly yet on exact pricing. Im going to shoot for the $.50cent a sq" rate. But I will let you guys know more after I recieve my materials and such this week/weekend and do a couple parts. I will post pictures and comment on the durability.

Thankx, Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information