2009 15f spark problem?

Hi I have a 2009 stx15 that has a problem with spark?
    When wave jumping smaller jumps it runs fine. But on larger jumps when the ski is burried under water then pops out it instantly runs on 3 cylinders or maybe 2. On the weekend i pulled the seat off when running rough and i believe number 1 and 4 was not firing because when i removed the spark leads it made no difference.
    Today we went for a flat water ride and i found that WOT for about 5 minutes every now and then it would stutter ever so slightly, and i saw the revs drop from 7300 to 7000, then back up to 7400 in a spit second. I could feel the power drop for that split second. The ski normaly rev's at 7400 - 7500 on flat water. I'm thinking now it must be the coil for spark 1 and 4.
    I have replaced spark plugs, i have checked the draind on the intake manifold (all clear).
    I have drained the fuel.
    I have tested the coil on the bench. (multi metre on homs)
    Are these coils likely to break down slowly, or do they just blow when faulty?
    Does anyone have any other thoughts?
    cheers
    pete

Measure the difference between the two coil sets [Kaw part 21121]. They should be the same value, you can do it from the spark plug ends. I have known of 15fs to have coil failure.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by peter flanagan View Post
    Hi I have a 2009 stx15 that has a problem with spark?
    When wave jumping smaller jumps it runs fine. But on larger jumps when the ski is burried under water then pops out it instantly runs on 3 cylinders or maybe 2. On the weekend i pulled the seat off when running rough and i believe number 1 and 4 was not firing because when i removed the spark leads it made no difference.
    Today we went for a flat water ride and i found that WOT for about 5 minutes every now and then it would stutter ever so slightly, and i saw the revs drop from 7300 to 7000, then back up to 7400 in a spit second. I could feel the power drop for that split second. The ski normaly rev's at 7400 - 7500 on flat water. I'm thinking now it must be the coil for spark 1 and 4.
    I have replaced spark plugs, i have checked the draind on the intake manifold (all clear).
    I have drained the fuel.
    I have tested the coil on the bench. (multi metre on homs)
    Are these coils likely to break down slowly, or do they just blow when faulty?
    Does anyone have any other thoughts?
    cheers
    pete
    coils can do either

Fail dead stop
    or
    intermittantly fail when under load

if you can get it to miss at idle and swap the coils , if the miss follows the coil then theres your answer
    otherwise it will be a educated guess which coil is dropping out when riding

are they getting wet at all ?

Waz

leads breakin down??

coil pack tested ok but it could be malfunctioning at high rev's and high heat. I also tested the leads that came up ok. I can't think of anything else it could be other than the coil pack so maybe i should buy it and find out.

I thought of moisture but when i got home i put the hose on the leads and coil pack to try to make it fail. It did not fail

Dont always trust the ohms test esp on coils,as on other post would swap and see if goes to other pots,by pulling plug leads

Thread Information