Aliso Viejo

Riding Double/Safety Precaution

Hereís a little story that probably is very trivial for most of you guys but can help inexperienced people!

Please do not take anyone that is not in top notch health condition for long ocean trips. I mean going from one island to another. This last Sunday I took my Father in law (62) who is actually in descent shape and exercises regularly to Catalina from Long Beach which normally is a much smoother ride than going from Dana Point.

He did have a hard time adopting with the situation for the most part. Then when we were 3 miles from Catalina, stopped to watch the Dolphins and video taping them and such. Meanwhile I got my left gunwale filled with water as I was idling and not noticed it. He moved drastically and shifted his CG to the left that caused the boat to flip, I jumped in the water that helped my ski to flip right side up right away! Here comes the problem, my FXHO does not have the ladder so it takes a little bit of force to get yourself up. I did that with no problems but he could not, even with my help! Then he started panicking a little, I told him to relax and just float in the water for a little. He did that and felt a little better but more tries deemed unsuccessful! Lucky me, my friend who rides with me was there and his had a ladder so ultimately he went up the other ski.

This couldíve been disastrous had this happened in rough water and miles away from the island with no one else around! I even went in the water to help him and I could not get him get on the ski!

For those of you that donít have much experience riding double, be aware that riding double is much more difficult in rough water than single and donít take anyone who is not as in good shape as you are!

Other than that and my camera being toast, it was an awesome trip!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2113.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	221253  

Thread Information