Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Safety tip for SHO owners with reinforced tunnels

After swapping grates back & forth a few times I had the tip of one of the pump shoe inserts break off. It made me aware that the OEM bolts do not screw deep enough into the insert after installing 305coco's tunnel reinforcement. The OEM bolts are 35mm long & Jorge's reinforcement is ~10mm thick, so there's a lot fewer threads holding the grate on.

With the Riva grate you can use 50mm bolts. The holes in the R&D grate are sunk a little deeper so 45mm is the max length you can use. I bought Bumax 88 stainless bolts which are pricey but you only need 4 & it's much strongher than 18-8(304) & 316 stainless. For those with the R&D grate, the Bumax isn't available in 45mm so you'll need to shorten them or go with 18-8 SST(slightly stronger than 316). These bolts have a 13mm hex head as opposed to the OEM 12mm, but even with the smaller holes in the R&D grate I had just enough clearance to get a 13mm Craftsman socket on it.

If you want to go one step further, you can drill & retap the front insert for M8's or buy the heavy duty replacement forum member WFO makes. Either choice will add strength over the stock M6's. I believe the FZ's use the same front mount for the grate as the SHO, so this is a worthwhile mod on those skis as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com
    Parts List:
    93810A497 Bolts
    94316A420 Flat washer
    92148A200 Lock washer

+1
    Very good tip

+1
    Great info. I think the same concept applies to the FZ in that the inserts can accept longer bolts for the intake grate. Jerry posted this info a while back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Very good tip
    Indeed!

+1
    Hi

Do SHO owners with the factory Yamaha pump tunnel reinforcement modification and totallly standard pwc have to do anything?

regards,

OZFXSHO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OZFXSHO View Post
    Hi

Do SHO owners with the factory Yamaha pump tunnel reinforcement modification and totallly standard pwc have to do anything?

regards,

OZFXSHO
    Never heard of that on a FXSHO. Are you referring to the FZ series tunnel reinforcement from the factory?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Never heard of that on a FXSHO. Are you referring to the FZ series tunnel reinforcement from the factory?
    +1, can you post a pic.

If it has a similar half ass reinforcement like the FZ's I'd rip it out & get this:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1337

+1
    Hi

I definelty have a 2009 FX SHO with the Yamaha pump tunnel reinforcement. It also had a little square Yamaha sticker on it when it was new but that has washed away. The pump tunnel reinforcement looked exactly like someone elses photo of their pump tunnel reinforcement on greenhulk that I viewed about 6 months ago.

I am happy to take a photo of it but it wont be on here till about another 5 days time.

regards,

OZFXSHO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OZFXSHO View Post
    Hi

I definelty have a 2009 FX SHO with the Yamaha pump tunnel reinforcement. It also had a little square Yamaha sticker on it when it was new but that has washed away. The pump tunnel reinforcement looked exactly like someone elses photo of their pump tunnel reinforcement on greenhulk that I viewed about 6 months ago.

I am happy to take a photo of it but it wont be on here till about another 5 days time.

regards,

OZFXSHO
    Did you buy the ski new or used?

+1
    Hi

I purchased it and was delivered to me in a steel crate covered in Yamaha brand wrapping. I had to assemble the handlebars, mirrors, rear boardling ladder, put electrolyte in the battery and install the battery for the first time and it had "0" hours on it when I started it, based on all of this I am guessing it was new?

regards,

OZFXSHO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information