Oil injection pump

Well folks I pulled the carbs off my 95 XP and rebuilt them. In the process I noticed the oil injection pump is still on the motor with just a bit of oil in the clear feed line and the cable was still hooked to the carbs. When I bought the ski the guy told me oil injection had been bypassed and he premixed. Is there anyway I can check the pump to see if it works so I can go back to the oil injection? Or is it better to premix? If I do continue to premix is there anything I need to do with the pump. I have heard of block offs but really have no idea what that is. This is a stock 717 motor.
    Thanks.

+1
    well, it sure sounds like it is still hooked up.

you canremove it, and put on a block off. it is not a bad idea, as long as everyone who uses the ski know to put oil in the gas!

i fyou want to retain the pump, i have a good one here for sale. 50.00 + s&h. it came off of a 720 with less than 30hrs. it is like new.

zig

+1
    sorry, i forgot to ad, there is a spec in the shop manual for testing the pump. i do not remember the numbers off the top of my head, but it should flow xxx amount per hour at a specified RPM. you need to spin the pump at the correct rpm for a minute, measure it, then multiply by 60.

hope this helps. zig

+1
    the guy probaby pulled the front cover and removed the driveshaft (plastic) and left the oil pump on instead of putting a block-off plate. you may want to make sure that the driveshaft is there before going back to oil injection.

as for pros/cons, pre-mix is guaranteed oil, but as mentioned don't forget to mix the oil in. my personal opinion is that the oil pumps are very reliable and i can't be bothered to pre-mix as i find it a pain in the ass. they are both good, just personnal preference.

Thanks for the info folks. I think I'll check the oil pump and if everything is good I'll go back to it. As you say JayZ mixing is a pain. I have 3 skis and trying to keep the gas bottles straight would not be fun. thanks once again. Karl

Thread Information