Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 SLX Holed PTO and MAG

I just purchased this 96 SLX and I knew what I was buying, but I have never seen this before. The MAG and the PTO have two perfect little holes in them.

I know all about lean condition, but I am worried that th PO turtled it, hydro locked it, and the crank is out of index. The PO told me he has never had the carbs done, and never winterized it in the 6 years he has had it. He would just gas and go. My guess is the carbs are dirty and it ran lean, but look at that center wash. Looks great. There is no water in the case and the rest of the ski is very clean.

Does anyone have an easy way to check the index?

Here is an update on video with all the tear down findings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00374.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	221338  
    Last edited by friscoboater; 11-26-2010 at 07:06 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Chances are the MAG and PTO carb filters are clogged.

Redneck method for checking index goes like this:

Place CEN piston at "true" TDC. Measure down to the MAG and PTO pistons. (if the heads are off) They should be identical, or REALLY, REALLY close.

NOTE: you may want to use a dial indicator for finding "true" TDC. There is play in the crank that will throw your measurements off if not perfectly centered.

I am going to get the engine pulled this weekend and check out the internals of the carbs. I do remember the PO saying that it happened on the first outing this last year. He got on it and it went like nobodies business, and then quit.

I have two 96 SLX skis that I will make one really nice one for next year, and replace my dead 95 SLX.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by friscoboater View Post
    ... MAG and the PTO have two perfect little holes in them...

Does anyone have an easy way to check the index?
    The MAG piston can never be out of index, since the MAG crank is directly connected to the flywheel shaft.

The only way for the MAG to have incorrect index is if the flywheel keyway has sheared and allowed the flywheel to shift on the crank snout. If that happens then all three cylinders will have the timing shifted by the same amount.

Since your center cylinder seems to have a good wash pattern, both the MAG and CEN cylinders probably have correct crank index.

Use the simple 'red neck' method outlined to check crank index but do it three times, once with each piston at TDC while checking the other to for matching distances down.

Well I spent the weekend building PWC stands so i could sell the trailers they were sitting on. I finally got the engine out of the SLX this afternoon, and I hope to measure the index tomorrow.

Does anyone have a link to a how to on measuring the index with a dial indicator?

Ok, so I got the engine apart and started to try and figure out why they both holed out. I put the center piston at TDC and both the other pistons were in the exact same spot, so I think I can rule out the crank being out of index. I took apart the carbs and found that the filters were clear. The only thing wierd about the carbs in that the PTO and MAG diaphragm areas were filled with oil (see picture) and the center had fuel in it. I am at a loss for what could have gone wrong.

Here are some questions.

1. What else should I look for? I do not want to rebuild this thing if I cannot find out what was wrong.
    2. I have never split cases and put them back together. How hard is it?
    3. What do you use to seal them up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00380.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	222257  

+1
    That's a Hell of alot of oil in those carbs. Not sure exactly HOW that much got in there? But if that's any representation of the amount being supplied while running, it's no wonder those 2 pistons were holed!!!!! LEAN..... Lack of fuel due to excessive amounts of oil.

If I recall correctly, you said the P.O. had BPR7ES plugs installed?????? 8's are recommended, and run cooler than the 7's.

So, add lack of fuel to hotter spark plugs, and you get holes in the piston domes.

Now the question is, why is there so much oil getting into THOSE carbs and not the CEN?????

Check the oil fittings and see if they have been altered or damaged in any way. Suppose to be a spring activated check valve in the oil hose fitting.

Thanks xlint. I am going to switch to premix just like my other skis. I just want to make sure it was not something else that caused the meltdown. I was also mistaken, he was running the 8s

+1
    Make sure you cap the oil fittings air tight. That way, if they are defective, you won't have an air leak through them.

Here is the update video of the tear down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information