Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Rev limiters (revisited)

I'm starting the topic because I can't seem to find a definitive answer regarding this, or maybe I just never searched long and hard enough. I've heard some say not to run the X skis in the 8100 range and to stay in the 8000 range. I've read where the X skis start cutting fuel in the 8100 range. If this is the case, to me makes absolutely no sense regarding the safety of these motors in this application. I would think the initial rev limit would be controlled by ignition retard or cutting spark to particular cylinders. In the event this was to happen it would reduce hp progressively. With the the soft limiter is engaged, the engine will still make a significant % of its power and hold rpms so the pump could still proces the water if in fact it had the nuts to pull through this. I'm assuming, and I use that term lightly, the hard limiter comes in at 8200 on the X skis and 8300 on the standard 215 models. If this is the case, there should be no concern of damaging anything IF IN FACT ONLY TIMING OR SPARK is being altered at or above the 8100-8180 range on the X models and 8200-8280 on the 215 models. I understand banging 8200/8300 is not healthy and how it would cause a lean condition that would end up being detrimental over time. In reality the ski would make less power and be richer relative to A/F up until the actual hard limiter @ 8200 or 8300 depending on the model ski. In a nut shell, I'm trying to find out how the rev limiters are introduced (hard and soft), and at what rpm and for each specific model. Thanks in advance for any input.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksalles View Post
    I'm starting the topic because I can't seem to find a definitive answer regarding this, or maybe I just never searched long and hard enough. I've heard some say not to run the X skis in the 8100 range and to stay in the 8000 range. I've read where the X skis start cutting fuel in the 8100 range. If this is the case, to me makes absolutely no sense regarding the safety of these motors in this application. I would think the initial rev limit would be controlled by ignition retard or cutting spark to particular cylinders. In the event this was to happen it would reduce hp progressively. With the the soft limiter is engaged, the engine will still make a significant % of its power and hold rpms so the pump could still proces the water if in fact it had the nuts to pull through this. I'm assuming, and I use that term lightly, the hard limiter comes in at 8200 on the X skis and 8300 on the standard 215 models. If this is the case, there should be no concern of damaging anything IF IN FACT ONLY TIMING OR SPARK is being altered at or above the 8100-8180 range on the X models and 8200-8280 on the 215 models. I understand banging 8200/8300 is not healthy and how it would cause a lean condition that would end up being detrimental over time. In reality the ski would make less power and be richer relative to A/F up until the actual hard limiter @ 8200 or 8300 depending on the model ski. In a nut shell, I'm trying to find out how the rev limiters are introduced (hard and soft), and at what rpm and for each specific model. Thanks in advance for any input.
    mine ran best around 8160-8180 when I had my stock ECU.

+1
    Good, I'm not crazy then. Thats exactly what my X ski seems to like as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post

Banned User
    +1

Banned User
    +1
    way over thinking it. put it at 8140-8180 you'll be fine! you put it up there against 8200-8300 it will pull everything back timing and fuel

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    +1 mine was the same.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    +1 mine was the same.
    Mine run also it's best speed at 8180 when i had the stock ecu.
    I would like to know what the afr's are,since we are on the limiter.

+1
    Thats basically what I was thinking... I just wanted to explain in more detail in my initial post regarding how the soft limiter is being introduced. As I mentioned, if its basically ignition retard up until the actual hard limiter, I'm not nearly as concerned as if it were strictly pulling fuel as I read on other posts on here. (thats what I find hard to believe) I would think when you begin retarding timing in these applications, being its forced induction, they would possibly make more horsepower as a result of the retarded timing. This would basically allows the charger force or blow more fuel and air into the cylinders before the spark. In essence, this would also lessen the chance of detonation.

Quote Originally Posted by richrxp View Post
    Mine run also it's best speed at 8180 when i had the stock ecu.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by richrxp View Post
    +1 Add me to that list. I bet we might be surprised.

+1
    No question on mine it makes the most power @ 8100 when using the 83mm nozzle. After that there was very little difference. Simply no reason to take it past there. I will say it helps being here in the midwest where water and air temps are much cooler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information