Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Weird problem....suggestions & input needed

Long story short....I took the ski out last time and ran 79.0mph. It started bouncing so I ordered RE block off and now that problem is gone. Here is the weird part, the passes it ran 79mph I had the 81mm nozzle (first time out with it) in and it was basically in the heat compared to how the weather was today. It was higher humidity and about 10 degrees hotter than today. Same set up basically with the RE block offs and the ski is down on rpm (about 60) and close to a full mph slower consistently.
    Here is where it gets weird....Whether or not this could be related, the ski ran really good last time out (79mph and a bunch of high 78mph passes) in warmer temps up UNTIL I added fuel. We ran a few gallons of fuel through it WITHOUT the gas cap put back on. Same fuel, same station. I'm not sure if this could have done anything, but it seems as though the runs with the gas cap off were slower as well. The reason the cap was off is because I fueled it from a jug in the water and we never paid attention when we closed the hood. Stupid mistake, but not sure if thats even related at this point. Coincedentally thats when it started. The ski never had problems running more rpms or mph up until that. I also feel a slight vibration in the prop, seems like when the ski is motoring down off plane. Just very slight though, like a faint wobble for a few rpms. I had changed the plugs prior to going out today in hopes it was possibly that. The ski has low 30 hrs on it and basically a wear ring with a few hours.

I decided to pull the ski apart today because I have a relo kit and Riva waterbox on order that should be here next week. I was hoping I would stumble across something taking it apart that would be obvious. I completely removed the intercooler, stock waterbox, all intake hoses etc and never saw any problems. I pulled the pump and the wear ring looks fine, nose cone is tight and prop appears to look fine to the eye. Also, the shaft seems tight relative to bearings etc. Could running an 81mm nozzle possibly back load the pump to much on an X ski as a result of the the longer pump tunnel and possibly have bent the prop from the pressure? I have the Solas currently. Maybe thats a crazy thought, but was suggested by a friend to possibly look into.

I'm at a loss at this point. The only thing I did see is the gasket part of the washer that is to the left of where the bailer tubes run on the pump had a tear in it. The one with the tab that sticks up so you can see it is in place from the rear of the ski.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, I'm just trying to cover everything I can.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    it could it just be getting a little heat soaked..if it is only a mph or so..just a thought. or dd it warm up..a little in the afternoon...i sometime see a 100 rpm difference from the am to mid day ...

Banned User
    +1
    Haha your paranoid. To lose or gain 60 rpms is very common when weather changes: as far as the gas cap...... done it a NUMBER of times myself youll be fine. There is an off chance that water got in there but doubtfull unless you were wave jumping or in a race (doesnt sound like you were) prop could be bent from debris sucked in..... beter tear it all down and check

could have just had some grass in the pump for a bit too..and it got itself out...

i had something caught in my prop once vibrated like crazy had to idle back about 4 miles..couldnt get it out on the water...there were gators..and i wasnt going to get waist deep in the water....got it to the shop took the pump out and there was nothing in it..put it back together and it was fine pulling it out of the water at the ramp must have dislodged whatever was caught...

+1
    I know it sounds crazy and I'm paranoid, but on the same token I know what it normally runs and the pattern. Something is wrong its just a matter of locating it. Same day same conditions it dropped off. It went as fast with a stock prop and 83mm nozzle as I did today with everything done and beautiful weather. As far as heat soak...it generally runs just as fast after running it for a little bit as it does off the trailer. You guys think I'm nuts but I know something is up. lol Maybe next time I'll try the 82mm nozzle again, but it went consistently faster with the 81mm, even in the heat.

Wheter its something small, something is just a little off or jacked up causing this.

its a sickness man and i have it too

+1
    Oh breon and your talking about a sickness we all have it

Lol ya its sat night and what are we all doing ..

+1
    LOL I know it is, I DEFINITELY have it...I'm anal about my sh*t as you guys are too. It's stuff like this that makes me lose sleep...literally. It's one of those things where you know something is up but just can't put your finger on it. Maybe the relocation kit and Riva box will remedy it...or just the process of putting it back together after its all checked out. One of those things where if you know everything is right, it will be. lol

Thats the cool thing about this site...so many guys share the same interest and have a passion for making their stuff fast, and consistently fast. At this point mine is falling off and it needs some TLC or massaging to straighten it out. I'm open to any suggestions at this point.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    Lol ya its sat night and what are we all doing ..
    Thinking HP

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information