Banned User
    +1

Trick to making a non-compliant spark plug boot seat itself

I have a spark plug boot that doesn't seat itself properly and stay stuck in the spark plug hole.

The actual boot jumps off the spark plug sometimes when riding and then I start getting a misfire.

I've tried a lot of things, like dropping a sheet load of dielectric grease everywhere on the boot incase it wasn't sealing, I tried spitting on the boot to see if its the seal (its not, I haven't tried other bodily fluids yet, but keen to hear suggestions )

I've noted its the actual plastic end capping that goes over the fine thread of the spark plug that may have worn ribs on it etc.

For the time being I shoved a bit of aly foil along 1 side of the plastic capping and its holding the the spark plug somewhat better, but not as tight as the other 2.

Any suggestions for a simple trick to get it to stay?

+1
    I have one on my PX that does that sometimes.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    might try squeezing the part that actually goes over the threads, but be careful. Replacement might be necessary

+1
    I have two of then would be nice to know how to fix

Banned User
    +1
    I was thinking of hitting it with the heat gun a little on the tip and get it in some vice grips and make it slightly out of round....

hmmm

+1
    Strange ... so you push the whole coil onto the spark plug, then go ride and it pops up? If so, how would enough pressure be getting in there to push the whole coil up and off?

Banned User
    +1
    Well, I think what is happening is the plastic ribs get a bit worn that go around the spark plug thread.

That + :

Either blow by from cylinder head pressure (unlikely, But it works 2 ways? hmm), or more than likely, the rubber top seal makes a bit of pressurized air in the plug hole, usually this is a good thing if the grip is holding the spark plug well as it keeps water from entering the plug hole.

It comes up with very little effort on mine but the other 2 stay well planted. I've located on mine that its the plastic 'grip' on the end that isn't holding onto the plug well.

Others maybe different.

I'm going to give the heat + clamp treatment a go and maybe first try relieve the pressure in the plug hole with a fine metal rod/tube? hmm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lolzer View Post
    and maybe first try relieve the pressure in the plug hole with a fine metal rod/tube? hmm.
    That is what I was thinking too ... if somehow you cut/drilled a small hole/slot in the boot or coil outer sleeve to let pressure out, it may stay on. Its nice to keep water out, but I think you could relieve the pressure and still stop 95% of the water (if you even get any near the boot anyway).

Makes me wonder if possibly the bottom of the metal tube is not sealing to the head or the valve cover is not clamping onto the top of the tube as well as it should, maybe pressurizing that tube more than normal.
    Last edited by Vern; 11-21-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: oops

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i have one or 2 that will do that as well sometimes.. usually just for the first heat cycle once it stays it stays...i think vern is right is has somethng to do with air being trapped and expanding and pushing it off..

+1
    Duct tape. A million uses and counting

Thread Information