Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    783
    +1
    29

    Pump shoe "felt" replacement

    Can I use a generic 1" x 1/8" foam gasket in place of the factory felt strip on my pump shoe?
    Was thinking of taking the GP1200R out tomorrow (warm here in North Carolina, high of 75!) after I filled the pump shoe w/plastic resin (Alumilite) and installed an R & D 800 grate and R & D plate.
    Dropped the shoe and found the felt ripped in half and tucked under back opening. It can't be salvaged. Am I gonna miss a November ride because of a $2 gasket?
    Thanks.


  2. #2
    You could get by with a generic gasket, so that you don't miss a nice November ride. But, over the winter, I would eliminate the gasket and fill the area with resin or some 4200/5200 poly.

  3. #3
    "Hustler" Inkaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,712
    +1
    26
    If your talking about the rubber gasket on the back of the pump shoe just run a bead of 5200 or 4200 and be done with it.. Removing that gasket is the first thing I do when sealing a pump shoe.

  4. #4
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    If your talking about the rubber gasket on the back of the pump shoe just run a bead of 5200 or 4200 and be done with it.. Removing that gasket is the first thing I do when sealing a pump shoe.
    +1

    chunk that POS felt and seal the shoe to the hull

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    783
    +1
    29
    Thanks guys.
    I do have a tube of 5200. Lay it on thick and wipe off what oozes out, right?
    Yee Haw, I'm riding tomorrow!

  6. #6
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I do have a tube of 5200. Lay it on thick and wipe off what oozes out, right?
    Yee Haw, I'm riding tomorrow!
    I am posting this just because its you

    http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...Sealing%20.pdf

  7. #7
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I do have a tube of 5200. Lay it on thick and wipe off what oozes out, right?
    Yee Haw, I'm riding tomorrow!
    oh, and 5200 takes over a week to cure... 5200 fastcure takes at least 2 days to cure... better to give it a little more time

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    783
    +1
    29
    Thanks for the "just because its you" link Rich.
    I'm anxious to take it out one last time this year to test the new grate and plate so I'm just going to run a bead of silicone caulk where the factory felt was for now. I'll remove and seal later.
    One other thought; is it worth packing some styrofoam or something similar into the cavities before pouring in the resin? I tried it on this one to save a little money and a little weight. Only drawback is that some air bubbles escape so you're not left with a perfectly smooth, flat finish. Have to buff or cut down resin in a couple places. Oh, and make sure you pack it in as styrofoam floats.

  9. #9
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Thanks for the "just because its you" link Rich.
    I'm anxious to take it out one last time this year to test the new grate and plate so I'm just going to run a bead of silicone caulk where the factory felt was for now. I'll remove and seal later.
    One other thought; is it worth packing some styrofoam or something similar into the cavities before pouring in the resin? I tried it on this one to save a little money and a little weight. Only drawback is that some air bubbles escape so you're not left with a perfectly smooth, flat finish. Have to buff or cut down resin in a couple places. Oh, and make sure you pack it in as styrofoam floats.
    you could I guess, but make sure its closed cell foam... others will absorb water

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pump Shoe Replacement
    By rick xp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
  2. 05 rxp pump shoe replacement
    By tchies in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 09:14 PM
  3. anyone ever replace a pump shoe?
    By mongorunner in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
  4. Replacing Brass Inserts - rideplate and pump shoe
    By kaarona1 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 05:13 PM
  5. Need to replace pump shoe insert, what else should I replace?
    By Jetscreamer in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •