98 stx 1100 Issues please help!

I have a 98 stx 1100 that when you punch the throttle from 0 to full or even quarter or half throttle it will bog. you kind of have the feathur the throttle to get it to go and then it will run fine but will still bog if you let off and get back on it.

Compression is 110 on all 3 cylinders which is good

Installed new correct spark plugs

I cleaned the carbs and even got 3 carb rebuild kits that were expensive as heck haha...I replaced all diaphrams, gaskets needle and seats, etc in the carbs

it just seems like a lean hesitation...should I just up the slow speed jet one size or what?

these are constant velicity carbs and the slides slide perfect so its not that.

the needles are in great shape as well

+1
    Have you tried both the On and Reserve settings on the fuel selector? Changed fuel filter? Might also be a plugged fuel pickup in the tank, loose hose connection causing a fuel leak, fuel selector leaking air, vent problem, plugged return line, etc.

Have you resolved this issue? I have the same problem, however I replaced the engine and rebuilt the carbs with the high dollar kits. Noticed the fuel filter will only fill about 1/4 to 1/2 way. Pulled the on/off/res switch the mesh screens look very clean. Both fuel lines clear. Not sure whats going on. I believe its a fuel problem with only 1/4 to 1/2 in the filter? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by auget8 View Post
    Noticed the fuel filter will only fill about 1/4 to 1/2 way.
    That's NORMAL on those skis. It's got a diaphragm fuel pump operated by vacuum pulse from crankcase. The pump is at the end of the triple carb body and it is sucking out fuel from the fuel tank. The fuel line is NOT pressurized. The diaphragm is just a thin rubbler piece which circumfence is sandwiched by two metal piceces. The rubber gets old/brittle and torn not doing its intended job. Check/replace it.

Could be water in the gas.

Could be water in the bottom of the tank, but not if you can achieve redline by feathering.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by xprider02 View Post
    I have a 98 stx 1100 that when you punch the throttle from 0 to full or even quarter or half throttle it will bog. you kind of have the feathur the throttle to get it to go and then it will run fine but will still bog if you let off and get back on it.

Compression is 110 on all 3 cylinders which is good

Installed new correct spark plugs

I cleaned the carbs and even got 3 carb rebuild kits that were expensive as heck haha...I replaced all diaphrams, gaskets needle and seats, etc in the carbs

it just seems like a lean hesitation...should I just up the slow speed jet one size or what?

these are constant velicity carbs and the slides slide perfect so its not that.

the needles are in great shape as well
    Im having a similiar problem and Im leaning towards a CDI igniter. Did you ever get this issue resolved with your ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by auget8 View Post
    Noticed the fuel filter will only fill about 1/4 to 1/2 way.
    That's NORMAL on those skis. It's got a diaphragm fuel pump operated by vacuum pulse from crankcase. The pump is at the end of the triple carb body and it is sucking out fuel from the fuel tank. The fuel line is NOT pressurized. The diaphragm is just a thin rubbler piece which circumfence is sandwiched by two metal piceces. The rubber gets old/brittle and torn not doing its intended job. Check/replace it.
    this is the correct answer for anyone still looking into this problem, however I regret to inform everyone that you can no longer buy this part as it is no longer being made or stocked anywhere. if you see any in decent condition out there, snatch them up, they'll be worth their weight in gold once they all start failing and people are junking ski's because of a 30 dollar pump diaphragm

+1
    No reason you couldn't install a Mikuni fuel pump.

Thread Information