IT people, VPN help

I need to look into setting up a VPN. about 10 users will use it from broadband connections on the road. I doubt there will ever be a time where all 10 users will use it at the same time, most likely a max of 3 users will be on at any single moment.

The users have windows machines. I have a computer to use as the server but not the software. I looked at microsoft server 2003 but it is very expensive. Are there any cheaper solutions? I also don't like the fact that I need to purchase a license (CAL?) for each user in the Microsoft Server.

in small user groups it offten cheapest to get a router that supports the VPN end of the equation & than run a PC anywere type program on the PC that need to be accessed....

Users loginto the router which give them their tunnel & then just remote control the pc via its internal IP.

Are you familiar with Linux? There are several free options if you can get around in Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by TorquePhoto View Post
    in small user groups it offten cheapest to get a router that supports the VPN end of the equation & than run a PC anywere type program on the PC that need to be accessed....

Users loginto the router which give them their tunnel & then just remote control the pc via its internal IP.
    I have a router that will do this, but I have shared files that multiple people need to update and have access to. Currently they are in an office so they do it via network storage, but we are ditching the office soon so they need to network across the internet. Setting up something like PC anywhere won't work for this purpose...at least I don't think it will?

Quote Originally Posted by chadc View Post
    Are you familiar with Linux? There are several free options if you can get around in Linux.
    Not really, used it for a while a couple years ago. I just don't have the time to learn. Is there anything that is kind of "plug an play." I don't have the time or desire to learn how to compile everything.

Thanks for the replies guys!

+1
    Greetings--

From what I read, your users need to be able to exchange ( and store? ) files that are accessable across the Internet from various locations. You also said that you are giving up a physical office, so no server ??

Perhaps one of the file storage/sharing services could be an easier soultion ?

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Greetings--

From what I read, your users need to be able to exchange ( and store? ) files that are accessable across the Internet from various locations. You also said that you are giving up a physical office, so no server ??

Perhaps one of the file storage/sharing services could be an easier soultion ?
    I've looked into that too, but it won't work for what we need. Basically there is a program with a database. The way it is set-up multiple people can be using the program and updating information in the database all without losing information or overwriting each other. I need a network to do this. Since everyone will be moving out of the office and the server moving I need them to be able to connect to a common network, vpn is the only way I know to do this.

I think I have found some software solutions, now comes the pain of trying each one out.
    Last edited by Lurker; 11-07-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Do you have a server? If so what OS? What router do you have? IF you have 2000/2003 server an easy cheap but not that secure, you could setup vpn on the server and open up pptp on the firewall. If you had a pix firewall it would be easy

we have 2000 server currently, just a small simple setup. That server is going bye-bye tho so I need to come up with something. Probably the vpn thing from my house. I'm gonna see if I can't get my ISP to bump the upload speed higher.

What type of budget are we talking here? Nothing with Linux is really plug and play sorry. I understand about the time, but if you ever do get the time spend some time on it. I have saved tens or thousands with Linux based solutions that many times are better than the Windows alternative. Let us know a budget and what type of hardware you will have to work with. Cisco VPN concentrator an option?

Thread Information