Ski Bogging down, compression related?

Hey guys. So I had my ski out the other weekend (slh700) and towards the end of the ride she started losing power. She always did have to be coaxed up the revs anyways but this was proper powerloss like down to 3000rpm and less. I know my compression is a bit low at 120 psi per cylinder. I have the upgrade ignition etc. The ski is a pig to start when cold, have to spin it over a good while before it starts, I presume that is down to low compression as well. Anyone think its maybe time for a rebore and piston set?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds to me like it needs a fuel system rebuild. Prob lead to a piston problem now....

How about a pic of the piston domes? And a current compression reading?

if it has 120 comprssion thats not bad compression on a two stroke sounds to me like your fuel pump is bad or clogged what kina fuel pressure you have and does it have the stock gray looking fuel lines if so change them asap they will burn your motor up the start to deterate from the inside and can stop up the fuel system and if that happens bye bye motor you will melt a piston down or worse have something overheat and come apart in the motor. what does the piston wash look like take pics and show us

+1
    120 PSI even across both cylinders is just fine. I agree that you most likely have a fuel delivery issue.

Replace all fuel lines (including inside the tank) and rebuild carbs set back to factory specs and you'll probably find a ski that runs just fine.

KJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    It sounds to me like it needs a fuel system rebuild.....
    +1

Check the links below

cheers guys will check it out. Thanks K447 for yet more useful links! Did replace the fuel lines a while back. Also I'm thinking of going premix. Just how reliable are the oil pumps?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by aj1987 View Post
    cheers guys will check it out. Thanks K447 for yet more useful links! Did replace the fuel lines a while back. Also I'm thinking of going premix. Just how reliable are the oil pumps?
    The Polaris oil pumps are fairly reliable.

What is important is to maintain the oiling system. Especially replace the oil lines every few years before they become to old and brittle and crack

New oil filter, and re-check the clamps on all the oil hoses every so often.

Any signs of oil seepage or oil in the bilge, investigate and repair - don't just leave it until later.

Hmm, now that you mention it I have noticed a bit of oil in the bilge recently......

Thread Information