Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with CDI and Timing Info

I bought a 96 slt 700 with no spark. Tested and figured the ignition system should just be replaced. Well by putting off buying it the kit is no longer available. As I read the kit I need is the 2873355. I found one off the shelf at a dealer in California, I'm in IL. I just received it and it has the 448 cdi box, which is the hurricane cdi. The kit also did not have the coil and plug wires. The ski has what looks like the original coil. I read I can use the Hurricane CDI but the timing is diff. What should I do? What is the best way to reset the timing without having the ski in the water? Any help would be great. This forum is great btw, totally helped a newbie diag my problem.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Have a look through my signature links. Lots of useful info there.

The Hurricane Ignition Update Kit 2873022 is actually the preferred version for all Polaris 1996-1999 two cylinder engines. A number of the techs on here use that kit on all their two cylinder engines.

The 4010448 CDI should work just fine. It is the timing advance curve that differs between the CDI, with the Hurricane curve being somewhat more 'aggressive'. That translates into better mid-range RPM power and acceleration.

I presume you also have the Update Kit stator 4010402, which is required with the Gen III and Update CDIs.

The newer ignition coil 4010175 is specific to the Gen III two cylinder CDI. It is actually a single ignition coil with each coil end connected to a spark plug. Both plugs fire together every time. I think this same coil is also used on all 2000-2004 two cylinder carb engines.

Your original coil is actually two separate coils, and is not usable with the Gen III CDI.

dang thats what i was affraid of. the kit was supposed to be the 2873355 that came with the coil pack but apparently someone opened it and switched some parts out. it does have the updated stator. thanks

+1
    I'm pretty sure I have a new "updated" style coil. I'm very sure I have several used "updated" style coils. I'll take a look on Saturday and send you a PM.

Where in Illinois are you located ?

The Hurricane timing is 2 degrees higher than the SLT at 20 deg.
    The timing specs are + or- 2 deg. So it would be up to you if you want to change it.
    To change the timing you loosen the 2 screws on the front of the flywheel and move that inner peice. Checking the timing is difficult out of the water, because the rpm move around alot. Some times helps to run it on 1 cylinder.(with this ignition,you will need to ground the other plug wire to get spark)

ok im officially confused. the update kit i received it i guess the original gen3 update kit that did not include the coil, the paper work included says it the gen3 but doesnt list the coil on the parts list. but what i find thru here is a list from 03 that includes the coil. so i still need the updated coil? i have the coil that has the two wires made into the coil. there is no way to use the old coil..ie wire both togther to fire. i know it will screw with resistance, would that be the main concern? i'm just cheap so thats why im wondering. thanks again for the help.

i am in sugar grove(aurora area) that would be great. would you by chance have the plug wires also?

+1
    The parts list for 2873022 or 2873355 kits, will list the coil and 2 plug wires.
    The4010175 coil uses different plug wires than your original coil. This coil fires both cylinders at the same time-everytime.

The original coil fired each plug seperately and used different wiring. Some one had one that was wired to work with the CDI, but something burnt up and I would'nt recommend it.

You do have the 4010448 CDI?
    And the 4010402 stator ? (Part # should be on the side of aluminum base )

Babbit' shows the "kit" is available for $305,hopefully you didn't pay more than that.

i paid a little more but without the coil. i tried babbits and partspitstop and other polaris dealers. they all told me polaris just canceled the 2873355 kits. but yeah i have the 402 stator and the 448 cdi box. i guess i should have checked if the 022 kit was still avail.

just called partspitstop and the 022 kit has also been canceled so just let me know on that coil when u get a chance and how much

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by boehm420 View Post
    just called partspitstop and the 022 kit has also been canceled...
    Quote Originally Posted by boehm420 View Post
    ...I tried Babbits and partspitstop and other Polaris dealers.

they all told me Polaris just canceled the 2873355 kits...
    Can someone confirm this?

If both the 2873022 and 2873355 kits have indeed been discontinued, then there is no Ignition System Update Kit for the two cylinder 1996-1999 engines.

One could be created using selected 2000-2004 two cylinder ignition parts, but it would probably cost more

Jay?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information