+1

netbook for Motec/ViPEC

Any suggestions on a netbook computer for the ViPEC? My new Gateway FX is too big and too expensive to bring to the lake, thinking about getting a netbook. BestBuy will have a Compaq for sale this Friday for $149.99 A 10" screen is small, need some feedback.

+1
    We use a "emachines" 35021g161 netbook running XP. The XP runs a lot less RAM than Vista.
    Get a good battery pack for it if you can. My 3 hours runs out real quick.
    Seeing the screen in the bright sun is difficult but otherwise it's the only way to go. No hard-drive to die in the bum.
    With motec you can see everything working as you go along, especially the lambda. I'm sure the vipec will be the same.
    We also use a modem stick and send files "off the water" in Morten Bay Brisbane down to Gary Watson, two hours drive away in Lismore (or anywhere in the world for that matter). Especially handy if I'm trialing something in particular like a new sc'er wheel or pump/prop combo and we need advice asap.

Hope this helps,

Dean

Ps. needless to say if it hits the water, just go and buy a new one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    We use a "emachines" 35021g161 netbook running XP. The XP runs a lot less RAM than Vista.
    Get a good battery pack for it if you can. My 3 hours runs out real quick.
    Seeing the screen in the bright sun is difficult but otherwise it's the only way to go. No hard-drive to die in the bum.
    With motec you can see everything working as you go along, especially the lambda. I'm sure the vipec will be the same.
    We also use a modem stick and send files "off the water" in Morten Bay Brisbane down to Gary Watson, two hours drive away in Lismore (or anywhere in the world for that matter). Especially handy if I'm trialing something in particular like a new sc'er wheel or pump/prop combo and we need advice asap.

Hope this helps,

Dean

Ps. needless to say if it hits the water, just go and buy a new one.
    Thanks, with a small 10" screen, do you have to scroll up down, left/right to see the whole screen and is the #'s hard to read?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Thanks, with a small 10" screen, do you have to scroll up down, left/right to see the whole screen and is the #'s hard to read?
    No. You can see the whole program (at least the motec one) on the screen without scrolling.

I find it difficult to see the screen in bright sun but I'm old and blind. I just pull up under an overhanging tree on the river or get the chaff bag out and cover the ebook and my head over if needs be. Looks like I'm trying to hide from everyone in the middle of everywhere, lol.

It's not perfect but much better than loosing the last 3 Laptops from busted hard-drives.

Toshiba have a bulletproof hard-drive in their laptop but then again it comes at a cost.

I'd trial that ebook for $150.00, if it doesn't work out you can always give it to the kids , grandkids, or the needy as a Christmas present.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    No. You can see the whole program (at least the motec one) on the screen without scrolling.

I find it difficult to see the screen in bright sun but I'm old and blind. I just pull up under an overhanging tree on the river or get the chaff bag out and cover the ebook and my head over if needs be. Looks like I'm trying to hide from everyone in the middle of everywhere, lol.

It's not perfect but much better than loosing the last 3 Laptops from busted hard-drives.

Toshiba have a bulletproof hard-drive in their laptop but then again it comes at a cost.

I'd trial that ebook for $150.00, if it doesn't work out you can always give it to the kids , grandkids, or the needy as a Christmas present.
    Appreciate the feedback. Toshiba has a 15.6" laptop for $189.00 at BestBuy, normally $480.00. I spend $40.00 more and i can get this one over the netbook.

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Any suggestions on a netbook computer for the ViPEC? My new Gateway FX is too big and too expensive to bring to the lake, thinking about getting a netbook. BestBuy will have a Compaq for sale this Friday for $149.99 A 10" screen is small, need some feedback.
    I have MacbookPro like 13" Led this is very good for work with motec

Thread Information