Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Back to polaris again.. 2000 slx 1200

Hey guys.

Long time ago, I got my first jet ski... a 1996 sl780 polaris, and loved it from the start. Never a single issue with it, until I sold it shortly after purchasing my yamaha GP1200 as an upgrade. In the mean time I purchased a 1996 sea doo xp800 and kept the polaris as it was just such a good ski.

After selling my gp1200, I got my current beast, my kawasaki ultra 150 which I absolutly love. Anyway this brings me to today and now... I purchased a nice triton aluminum trailer today for $600... it just happened to come with a 2000 slx 1200 I was looking for a competitor for the ultra that friends could at least keep up with, so this might be the one!

The slx has a problem, I took my good battery from my ultra, hooked it up to and when you press the start button, nothing but a click from the electrical box. Upon taking the electrical box apart, it seems the starter solenoid is making the clicking sound. But, when I jump the starter directly from the battery, nothing, no resistance...NOTHING. I've dealt with a frozen starter before on my kawasaki 750 xi but when you touched the terminal it would spark. Is it NORMAL for there to be no resistance what so ever when jumping a frozen starter? I see a lot of these on ebay, perhaps the starter is a common issue on these?

Is there a procedure online that I can read about changing the starter, upon first glance, it appears as it's going to be a hard one to get to!

What about interchangeability between the polaris starters?

Any points would be great, going to do some more testing tommorrow before turkey day begins, ran out of light today. I'll start by testing the starter solenoid relay to make sure it's sending 12v to the starter, just to make sure it's not that. How many fuses are there in the electrical box to check. The MFD appears to have water inside of it.... will have to dry that out to see if it works. Is it like my old sl780 with a small fuze for the MFD inside the box?

Again, any input would be great!

Thanks in advance,
    Jared

+1
    My understanding of the starters is that they are all very much interchangeable on all SL/SLX models including fuji blue and domestic red engines so you will have no problems getting one. I had a problem with a starter that had a rusted terminal, just wire brushed it and it worked like new. One thing you may try to ensure your starter is no good is to test it directly - you can do this by connecting a good battery negative terminal to the engine block and the pos straight to the starter pos terminal. If that don't work you will probably have to change your starter and avoid stuffing around with the CDI.

A good SLX should have little problem keeping up with an Ultra 150. I keep up on my SL 900 with those things....

What is mean't by "avoid stuffing around with the CDI" I did try jumping the terminal inside the box (the starter relay solenoid and clamped the negative from the battery directly to the engine and the positive to the terminal which went out to the starter... nothing. Tommorrow I will try just jumping it directly even further outside the CDI box... but WHERE IS the starter! It seems like this one is going to be a brute to get too... when I had to change my 700 xi, it was fairly difficult but you could see that starter at least! I noticed the opening for the engine bay is very small, with very little room to fish around especially towards the front of the motor. Is there a starter replacement procedure printed somewhere online I can read? Like what parts need removed first to get to it, how the starter is positioned if fishing blindly with a wrench... etc... things like that would be very helpful!

What is the typical top speed on these? I know my ultra is suppose to be 65-97 stock, it actually consistently runs 68 and upper 68's. I think I have read these are a 62-64mph ski out of the box? Pretty soon I'll be looking for cheap go fast upgrades. I noticed on my pump, that there is a stainless steel 6 vein stator on it, that stands out from the rest of the black pump... was this stock? Also has an extended ride plate already on it appears it could have been stock.

Jared

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc011185 View Post
    ...I know my ultra is suppose to be 65-97 stock...
    There is a big difference between a 65mph ski and a 97mph ski. Why such a huge range? Is there that much inconsistency in the stock ski? Seems like someone needs a lesson in quality control if that's the case.

+1
    He means its a 1997 stock ultra going 65 mph I think.

The starter is behind the big red pipe! start disconnecting the water lines to the pipe and the hose and mounts in the front and back. not sure if the manifold needs to come off too..

the starter has 2 bolts on the end holding it to the engine case. and the other end has 2-orings on it that makes it tough to remove..

keep wiggling it a lot.....like 30 times and it will make it way out of the hole. just watch your hand if it lets loose on ya! bang! ouch!.lol Remember to disconnect the battery.

then you can bench test it. see whats up. it should engage cleanly and abruptly when tested and whirl like no other and sound powerful, if it doesnt, its junk.

Polaris's in general need a very good battery for starting. A AMG odysesy pc265 is a good one.. you need 10.6v or higher while cranking to start.

avoid stuffing around the cdi means messing with it or the hassle of removing and replacing it i think he means,,

The 6-vane is standard on these along with that plate. they do mid 60's stock like you were saying.

Happy Thankgiving by the way!

I mean't 65-67mph ski... a tripple piped ultra built the right way... maybe 97 on the best of days

Now this is an appropriate speed limit sign. dragon129's Avatar
    Man, sounds like you got a pretty decent deal. I guess because it would turn over, you really couldn't check how good/bad the 1200 is. You're not too far from me. Where did you find that thing? Oh yeah, look at the starter and the bendix gear. I have seen problems with those as well. Should be easy to find though.

I checked the spark plugs, they had a nice tan/brown burn to them, and were even... no particals or rememnents on them so I'm hopeful It was a lady seller, didn't know what she had, typical divorce, she was stuck with it didn't know how to use it yadayada... it was on charlotte craigslist. They were wanting 800, but I offered 600 and she took it! The triton aluminum trailer is worth a good penny just there, the ski is in NICE condition, I mean real nice. I would have liked to be able to test the compression, but ah well, rebuild kits are only $350 for these, I could re-ring for even cheaper if needed. I'll be it's just one of those replace the one bad part and fire it up deals (starter) or at least that's what I'm hoping!

Now, how will I know if the bendix itself is bad, if I put a new starter in, and it spins freely? I plan to pull the starter and bench test it, but I've got a couple more tests to do. I actually had to go back to work for the one day today before the weekend So no chance to do anything really to it yet but I did wash it up yesterday.

Jared

Well since the cold weather had set in, I put the polaris aside until now it's warmed up (almost 80 today here!) I've ordered a starter (P# 406011 says it should work for like you guys said pretty much any and all the polaris models sl/slx and such. I haven't even taken off the old one yet, I had plans to today but I spent the day resealing the carrier bearing seal on my ultra and cleaning and dewinterizing it, and washing them both, waxing the ultra I just ran out of time. It's also supposed to be nice this coming weekend, so I will be testing the polaris if I can get it running. Any other tips, suggestions I should be aware of before I proceed?

Jared

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you gone through it and checked/cleaned things?

Carburetor rebuild? Compression check?

Healthy battery, fresh spark plugs, checked/replaced oil and fuel lines, fresh fuel, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information