+1

Look what i just found

Was looking through ebay like you do and saw this,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-XM-2-5...item2a07ba8f5d

looks very much like something else but the price is not quite the same as the last time I saw it advertised for a jetski. lol

R88

+1
    For those that dont know what it is its a rotax racing intercooler or at least its the same thing they sell. R88

+1
    Yea, can you convert that to US dollars for those of us that cant read Aztec!!

+1
    LOL yeh around $100-115.

Cant remember what Rotax used to ask for them but it was alot more then 100 bucks.

As a intercooler it works very well, Zapata used to run them, im not sure what rotax use now as all the new skis RXP-X ect ect have a intercooler as standard so they prob just stick with that. R88

looks exactly like rotax cooler
    and they charge 1350 for it, if i am not mistaken

+1
    I think I saw these in the online store just a little while back (Rotax), looks like same pic aswell. It would be interesting to know if the cores were the same..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    I think I saw these in the online store just a little while back (Rotax), looks like same pic aswell. It would be interesting to know if the cores were the same..
    Oh dont worry they are exactly the same apart from Rotax takes the time to grind the part numbers off and I think they may remove a couple other bits off of it.

I have know for some time that they were a part from the automotive industry, they are also used on some trucks as the heater matrix for cabin heat.

This is just the first time I had seen one for sale. I dont think anyone would run one now they are very restrictive esspecially for the big boost we are making nowdays, remember when Rotax first come with these it was to replace the stock internall IC on the 215 platform and they only had the 127mm replacement wheels that didnt make that much boost.

Back then they were very good esspecially compared to the stock internall IC. Its like anything tho time move forward, the XS will do a better job then this IC, there is a chance that in a race where you are working the motor hard for 10-12 laps that the rotax cooler would keep the AITs lower overall but the XS would work better off the line due to lower pressure drop ect ect, the XS works really well with the lower boost SCers its just the big boost we have now that they begin to struggle with.

R88

+1
    I wonder whats the best IC on the market now vs stock external IC?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    I wonder whats the best IC on the market now vs stock external IC?
    Well as far as commercially availible for our ski the stock X intercooler is very good. It just doesnt like high water pressures.

Les Cookes IC is very well made with a very good core, hand made tanks and its spot on for size, can handle very big boost and full water pressure without issues but its very very expensive.

The precision IC that can be brought from ebay are made with the garrett core as far as I can tell and are probably very good for alot less then the Les Cooke IC but im not sure about the placement of the in and out water fittings, could be better.

Its difficult to say really as there is no IC that will be perfect for every boat, SCs need something different then the turbos, do you want all out topend power or need best response or a mix of both. What water route is being used, some ICs might work really well with a slower flow of water but then there would not be enough flow for the exhaust ect ect so your into running a seperate water feed to get the best, there is no simple fix for all.

For the most part you will not get better then the X series intercooler for all round performance but you have to be carefull with the water routing. It does like some extra flow but you have to be carefull how much pressure you put into them as they are fragile.

Les's IC is understandably been designed to work with his turbo setup but does work very well in all setups that iv seen it in. Pricey tho.

The precision unit is kinda unproven here as not many have used it.

And the XS is the best bang for buck your gona get and in fairness unless you are racing I would not run anything else, its cheap, strong has low pressure drop and for drag racing it works very well its just longer WOT runs where it begins to struggle.

Louis did some testing and found that it really struggled with his turbo and said that the AITs raised nearly as fast as the boost did, he has now made a custom IC that he has working very well.

R88

Thread Information