Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Highest top speed on the GSX hull

What's the highest top speed you have taken the GSX hull to?
    Conversion or 951....?
    How stable was it & when did it start to get scary?
    What was your handling setup?

I heard the GSXL at 65 mph was a hand full, but can it be tamed with tabs, extended ride plate, pump extension, intake grate, etc...

I'm up to no good......

+1
    '98 GSXL -- red/purple -- 71.5 mph-- no handling issues. Stock ride plate, stock sponsons, stock intake grate massaged, skat 14 vein set back w/ swirl impeller. The GSX handles like crap compared to the GSXL. 70 on a GSXL is more stable than a GSX at 60. I tried a 97 gsx plate on my old 99 GSXL and it scared the shit out of me. My setup will run faster w/ the correct bent 15/21 concord, but I am not throwing any more money at it-- I have an 85 mph RXP now (and 18 other skis). The 951 is an amazing motor w/ lots of reliable potential if you do things correctly, but it has its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    '98 GSXL -- red/purple -- 71.5 mph-- no handling issues. Stock ride plate, stock sponsons, stock intake grate massaged, skat 14 vein set back w/ swirl impeller. The GSX handles like crap compared to the GSXL. 70 on a GSXL is more stable than a GSX at 60. I tried a 97 gsx plate on my old 99 GSXL and it scared the shit out of me. My setup will run faster w/ the correct bent 15/21 concord, but I am not throwing any more money at it-- I have an 85 mph RXP now (and 18 other skis). The 951 is an amazing motor w/ lots of reliable potential if you do things correctly, but it has its limits.
    is that motor a stock 951? if not what did you have done for it to run 71.5mph? was that on smooth water also?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I built a 99 GSX with pro-k and re jetted the carbs and ran 65 mph. all stock of course it could have been made faster by tweaking with props, intake grates and such, No handling issues. Except these hulls are somewhat nimble on the chop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    is that motor a stock 951? if not what did you have done for it to run 71.5mph? was that on smooth water also?
    Yes, GLASS WATER and very good air. My race gas 951 massaged stock piped setup with all the engine mods that work. The Skat pump impeller combo with wedge is worth 2.5 mph over a rebent stock impeller 1.5 over a concord. PM me if you would like to buy some parts.

Yes, GLASS WATER and very good air. My race gas 951 massaged stock piped setup with all the engine mods that work. The Skat pump impeller combo with wedge is worth 2.5 mph over a rebent stock impeller 1.5 over a concord. PM me if you would like to buy some parts.
    I was hoping that was in slight chop on pump gas, you shattered my hopes, lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    I built a 99 GSX with pro-k and re jetted the carbs and ran 65 mph. all stock of course it could have been made faster by tweaking with props, intake grates and such, No handling issues. Except these hulls are somewhat nimble on the chop.
    WOW-- that is impressive all the setups that I built with those mods would only run MAYBE 63 mph here in Michigan. Good job.

+1
    So the GSXL & GSX ride plates are different? I know the intake grate setup is. How do think it would handle over 75mph? I bet that swirl, skat combo gives it a mean hole shot & hard acceleration!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    So the GSXL & GSX ride plates are different? I know the intake grate setup is. How do think it would handle over 75mph? I bet that swirl, skat combo gives it a mean hole shot & hard acceleration!
    WICKED excelleration is what this setup is-- the top speed is a side effect--black pipe modified, compression, porting, reeds, Skat pump w/ swirl, timing, race gas. With the GSXL or any of these smaller 2 stroke ski's weight and placement is critical. If you could somehow add the power to my setup to spin the impeller 300-400 rpm more (75+ mph) I think it would be fine as it is ROCK SOLID on GLASS WATER. As I mentioned, the GSX is a very different animal.

+1
    WICKED excelleration is what this setup is-- the top speed is a side effect--black pipe modified, compression, porting, reeds, Skat pump w/ swirl, timing, race gas. With the GSXL or any of these smaller 2 stroke ski's weight and placement is critical. If you could somehow add the power to my setup to spin the impeller 300-400 rpm more (75+ mph) I think it would be fine as it is ROCK SOLID on GLASS WATER. As I mentioned, the GSX is a very different animal.
    So, GSX vs GSXL is motor weight & ride plate, intake grate difference right? Is the pump tunnel larger on the gsxl? I know the 951 has the larger pump & support. I'll be adding about an extra 100lbs+ of motor in there and swapping out the pump shoe and running either a skat or 159mm pump. I'm looking to get near 80mph in flat water conditions only.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information