Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1

Unhappy Questions about an SHO

Hey guys, I have sold my 2007 VX and now come to you all with a few questions. I have found a 2008 Yamaha SHO with 28 hours on the clock. It looks like its in great shape and could potentially end up as my new toy. Unfortunately, I have never ridden one and I have never messed with one. Could you please help me out.

1. What kind of reliability can I expect if I keep it stock? My 2007 VX had 250 hours and im hoping the sho can at least survive 300-400.

2. What are the known problems? Is there something that I must take care of right away?

3. How long does the supercharger last? How much is the replacement cost of a supercharger?

4. Am I making the right decision? What do you think is a fair price to pay for this ski. It looks very clean from what I can tell.

5. Those who own an SHO, how do you like it?

Thank you to all that can answer some of these questions. Unfortunately I'm out of my league when it comes to performance machines.

+1
    1. In stock form the SHO is quite reliable. However, your riding style plays a big roll in reliability.

2. There are no safety issues with the SHO but I would recommend a tunnel reinforcement for peace of mind.

3. You are going to get 1000 different answers for this question.... some have gone on stock boost and some last a long time even with a lot of boost. IMO how your ride is going to determine your clutch life. If you ride on lakes then you should be fine but if you ride in the ocean the constant unhooking put a lot of stress on the clutch. The best advice I can give you is to let off the throttle when you become air born and try to feather the throttle as much as you can. The replacement for the entire clutch is ~$400 and requires some mechanical skills. I would invest in a BOV (such as Riva's HKS kit) to prevent clutch failure, especially if you will be riding in the ocean.

4. The SHO will not disappoint and if you decide to get into modding there are a ton of options for any budget. I would say 8000k would be a fair price but I would check with your local dealers and see what they are selling their left-over SHOs for.

Here's some good reading...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...+reinforcement

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...+reinforcement

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...utch-explained

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...Fx-Sho-Library

+1
    Mike, thank you for the quick response. I want to keep it stock as much as possible to reduce the possibility of engine failure. It seems like the bov is important to release pressure and something I should look into. I wish there was a way for me to know if the ski was modified and brought back to stock. It looks 100% stock from what I can tell. I do 99% ocean riding or cruising the intracoastal. Any idea what kind of supercharger the ski is using? Also, what is it boosting in terms of psi. Thank you.

+1
    It would be tough to tell is the ski was once modded, it would take a very keen eye to spot something out of place. The ski (assuming it is stock) will be using the stock SC which puts out about 5.5lbs of boost in stock form. The SHO handles nicely in the rough, I've had the opportunity to ride my friends SHO in the ocean and it stays planted pretty well.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...fzr&highlight=

+1
    to get the most out of the oem charger i would replace the oem intercooler with a jd1 intercooler which comes complete with a bov.
    if you keep the s.c. wheel stock your clutch should last a long time.......
    the clutch has been he only weak point in my SHO.

+1
    Thank you guys, just picked it up!

Well I ended up doing alot of thinking, alot of shopping and saving up alot of cash hahaha Picked this up in the morning.

+1
    Congrats on the new ride dude! Just hope you don't plan to haul it on that trailer...I think I can hear that tiny axle screaming for mercy.

+1
    Oh no, thats a trailer I borrowed. Im using a triton aluminum made for big skis. Thanks, what a difference between this and the VX!

+1
    Nice ski. I am shopping also. I keep going back and forth between an SHO and a seadoo speedster 150.

What price did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I recognize that S/N from need2Speed.com

+1
    Pm sent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information