This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

fx odd cranking problem

had a 05 fx show up for a winterizing last week..got started on it yesterday and lo and behold the engine won't crank...ok..go into the electric box and jump the solenoid..engine cranks..ok..pull the electric box ( what a pia as always) change out the solenoid and ...no crank. test the old solenoid and it's just dandy.

after checking the tilt switch and all the various connectors, I get out the voltmeter and start probing around. 12v to the brown lead on the solenoid when I hit he starter button, but the black lead has no continuity to ground.

ground the black lead and the engine cranks withthe starter button, but now..no spark! (well one spark, which I assume is the ecm switching off or on)

the wiring diagram for this model really sucks..very hard to put things in line, but I'm leaning to a problem with the ecm. I suspect this ski has been jump started a few times, since the battery was marginal last year when I serviced it and it's the smae battery this season.

console shows no codes.

outside of replacing the ecm..anything else I'm missing?

I've already tried my test (known good) main relay and had a look at the rectifier connector ( good shape)

an ecm is a pricey swag, but intuiton tells me I'd better do some serous sniffing around beffore I order one.

oh yeah..when I tried the starter button without the solenoid line grounded the bilge pump turns on and every now and then I'll get some action on the solenoid ( maybe a bump on the negine, but no more then that)

+1
    Duh..I am now nomiated for the stupid award..the ecm was locked. ^&^&*^&*^*^* yamaha engineers show no sign of this ont he console, yet the engine will make bump/grind noises. Had anothjer ski show up this morning and it was the same thing!..that got me thinking outside the hull. I did find the dongle for the 2005 int eh bottom of the hull..looked like something had been chewing on it, s I discounted that the darn thing even worked...well it did..once press of the unlock button and the thing woke up and fired up.

Thats a few hours of time down the drain, but that's how you get to know better. I would have figured the security lamp on the console would flash on if you tried to start the engine and it was locked. bad assumption on my part.

In the meantime the other customer called me all apologetic that she didn't leave me the ignition lock..now if she had only shown up last week...

but a good place to ask..how the heck do you replace one of these. Thety are obvioulsy coded..but I can't find any info anywhere on how to get one done. Super secret dealer tool?

+1
    as far as i remember some one posted how to do it on pwc today
    it was fairly simple one you put it in the recieving mode you press the buton and it will remember it
    but you need all the code butons and do the same with them all
    otherwise the old butons wont work

kev

+1
    same happened to a mate of mine he drove 1.5hrs to the ramp, launched ski, ski would crank but not start so loaded back up again drove .5hr up the road to battery store and brought new battery drove back to ramp .5hr fitted new battery and same as before turns over but doesnt fire he goes to local garage and owner does a few voltage checks and askes has this thing got a security device he answers yes but i dont use it. (read on if only he pressed the button then) he now decides something major is wrong and heads for the dealer 1hr away. 10mins from the dealer he phones me and tells me his problem i listened and without hesitation i said you pressed your immobilizer button didnt you, he went very quit and said "i never use it" but then suddenly i heard him brake and stop his car he walked to his trailer and pushed the button and guess what? ski started i could here all the obscene words of the dictionary being used from the speaker in his car and he was down at his trailer, he came back to the phone and said dont you ever tell anyone ever, ever. i promised of course (not) he had used his immobilizer a couple of weeks prior and forget all about it. he has never let it down to this day. i dont and have never owned a yamaha but it was the first thing that came to mind when he told me his problem. needless to say he turned around and went back to the ramp a little later than planned.

+1
    well this turned out to be a valued lesson, read up on this a bit and found some good info. There is a dongle type device you attach to the wire harness, which I assume has a "learn button" on it to mate a new remote to the receiver on the ski. Read some real horror stories about the smart keys on toyota cars too!

My objection here is the lack of a positive indication that the system is locked out, and also on the two yam's I had in the shop, the engine starter solenoid would bump a bit if you kept pressing on the starter button. funny thing is the "security light" would blink if the ski was unlocked and the starter button pushed.

The little dongle box is inexpensive ( $120 or so), the remote however is not. I'll be adding both to my digital key service for next season, as no doubt this problem will not be going away, and there will be more talk on it in the months to come.

Looks like a tough connection to make as the receiver is buried under the steering column, but I'll follow up on this in a few months when I add this bit to my tooling.

Never thought I'd say it, but it appears to be a bit more obtrusive then the dess system, but without the $600 kick in the face if you lose all of your kawsaki immobilizer keys.

a secure locking compartment (perhaps with a medeco key strongbox holding the kill switch), would be far superior to all of these systems

almost makes you want to inject an RFID tag into your hand so you can't lose the key to your ski...

+1
    Funny, nmpeter's ski and nicjak's ski had different symptoms (one would not crank, and one would crank but not fire) but they both had the same fix... Just needed to unlock remotely?

Thread Information