Question Engine breakend on rebuilt 03 MSX 140 and Fuel Injector Torque????

Should extra oil be added to the gas for the engine break in on a fresh rebuild? What is the torque spec in the fuel injector bolts? Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ruinplay View Post
    Should extra oil be added to the gas for the engine break in on a fresh rebuild? What is the torque spec in the fuel injector bolts? Thanks
    No extra oil can be added to the fuel for the fuel injected Ficht engines. Just run the normal oil injection system.

MSX cylinders are normally Nicasil treated. What was done for the rebuild?

Fuel injector mounting bolts are torqued to only 8 ft-lbs. The bolts must be tightened evenly so the injector stays aligned in the cylinder head bore. Make sure you have the large O-ring on top of each injector in place.

New cases, crank and replated nicasil cylinder. Took on trade from a customer. What a bicth machine. Having the typical surging issues as I've read. Ready to check fuel pressure, fuel pump and regulator next b-4 getting to new TPS replacement. Will not throttle above 3500 rpms. New spark plugs the NGK's required. How does the fuel baffle lift out, I mean does the top screw off?. I did properly torque the injectors with orings in place. I like to get access to at least to see if the fuel regulator didn't drop from the top. I'm not psyched about having to pull the tank up. Thanks for the info...very much appreciated. I work more on Seadoo and Kawi's. When I got this sucker started I was thrilled to hear it roar but pissed cuz wont rev above 3500.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ruinplay View Post
    New cases, crank and replated nicasil cylinder. Took on trade from a customer. What a bicth machine. Having the typical surging issues as I've read.

Ready to check fuel pressure, fuel pump and regulator next b-4 getting to new TPS replacement.

Will not throttle above 3500 rpms. New spark plugs the NGK's required.

How does the fuel baffle lift out, I mean does the top screw off?.

...I like to get access to at least to see if the fuel regulator didn't drop from the top.

I'm not psyched about having to pull the tank up.

...wont rev above 3500.
    If the fuel pressure at the schrader valve tee is above 20PSI (typical 23PSI) then the pressure regulator is in place. Clamping the fuel return line between schrader tee and tank should cause fuel pressure to rise further to near 30PSI.

Be careful when reading other MSX diagnostic threads. The MSX 140 2-stroke Ficht model is very different from the MSX 110 and MSX150 4-stroke Weber engines.

On the MSX 140 the 3500RPM limiter is activated by Reverse mode (cam switch on reverse handle mechanism), HOT engine coolant sensor, EMM internal overheat, or 45 volt EMM voltage output is too high.

When you wake up the MFI display and start the engine do you see any text display messages (Reverse, Check Engine)? Does the red lamp continue to flash beyond the first few seconds?

If you find the fuel pressure is too low, the fuel pump unit is retained by a large plastic ring that screws onto the tank top. I am not sure if the fuel pump assembly can be lifted out of the tank without removing the engine. In any case you would at a minimum need to release the tank straps, hoses and wires and try sliding the tank forward in the hull. The fuel pump power connector has a locking tab that slides sideways.

The fuel pump is constantly powered through a fuse or circuit breaker (may be labeled Reset button). The fuel pump is turned on by grounding the Brown wire.

Thread Information