Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1

Why did this fry?

Electrical question, I was wonder what might have cause this. I have a used one going in it's place along with a new circuit breaker and new circuit board. Did it just go bad? water maybe? anyway I just want make sure it doesn't happen to the replacement, could bad coils, rectifier, or stator cause this kind of melt down? I got a new breaker and board coming from Atlantic and also from ebay. The CDI is hard to find cheap so I wanna keep from damaging this one if at all possible. What do you guys think? I'm no electrical wiz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0732.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	10258  

+1
    Did you hook up the battery up - to + and + to - by chance?

+1
    I'd verify the stator cabling and make sure nothing is pinched behind the flywheel. I've seen where guys leave the bracket out and the wires short.
    VERIFY grounds!!
    Make sure the voltage regulator doesn't put out more than roughly 13.8 volts to the battery.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Did you hook up the battery up - to + and + to - by chance?
    I bought the ski for $400 bucks because it was in non running condition, so who knows? The guy just said it won't start. He shaved the wire going to the starter in one small spot and by passed the electric box to do a compression test. The box must have had water in it at one time is my guess. I just want double check things that might have caused it. I don't need it happening to me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I'd verify the stator cabling and make sure nothing is pinched behind the flywheel. I've seen where guys leave the bracket out and the wires short.
    VERIFY grounds!!
    Make sure the voltage regulator doesn't put out more than roughly 13.8 volts to the battery.
    Yeah, I want to put the new board and breaker in and verify everything before I run it. Regulator is that the rectifier thing right next to the circuit board and can I test it with out the motor running. I'm assuming you need the stator charging to get 13.8 volts, but I'd like to test as much as possible before I fire it up. guess it's time to dust of my bible.

+1
    OK, I'm still waiting on my parts from Atlantic probably because they had to back order the damn board. I got my new breaker and board from ebay already. The board says part no. 4040045. It appears to be missing the small fuse holder. The one for the bilge pump. I think. Looks like a orange and black wire to the fuse and a solid orange jumper going to the orange terminal posts on the old set up. The new board is set up a little different. I'm guessing that the orange and black can go on the orange terminal post and the jumper wire and fuse are eliminated. Anyone? Still need that damn bubble that goes over the breaker. I might wait for the Atlantic parts to repair the VT Hurricane and use these on the other one.

Thread Information