+1

Very important info regarding cam gear torque specs

Any of you guys that have replaced your cam gears or cams please inspect your cams for cracks where the cam gear bolts thread into the cams.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva
    After much testing and investigation, we have discovered that the torque specification for the cam gear bolts in the [email protected] instructions as well as the Yamaha Service manual is incorrect. Torquing the bolts to 17.7 ft. lbs. will result in the camshaft cracking every time. The crack can be easily seen by just rotating the cam so that the bolt is at the 12 o'clock position, crack will be at the top of the cam ear. I would suggest that you have people who have installed gears check their cams for cracks. The correct specification for those bolts is 13.3 ft. lbs. We have notified Yamaha and a service bulletin will follow from them shorty.
    I was one of the unlucky ones and had a cracked cam. Pic attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam gear damage 002.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	222642  

+1
    I have this crack in my cam ear for this exact same reason. The bolt still stays in tight and I used a tiny dab of blue lock tight on it to make sure it does not back out. I have had no issues thus far. I know it's not the smartest thing but I consulted a number of different people before deciding not to replace the cams and they all agreed that I should be ok.

I figured it was maybe just my torque wrench or me messing it up. Nice to know that the torque spec was wrong and it was not my own stupidity.

Thank you Riva and Jerry for the info!

+1
    todd maybe you can run longer bolts with nuts in the back to just have a little more peace of mind. my 02.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    todd maybe you can run longer bolts with nuts in the back to just have a little more peace of mind. my 02.
    Possibly... I know you guys probably think I'm an idiot for doing this, and one day I may very well pay the price, but I can tell you that even once you get the crack in the cam ear, the bolt still gets tight. I cracked mine the very first time I changed the cam gear settings, and have changed them 4 times since then, and still have not had an issue. The original incorrect torque spec called for 17 pounds and even with the cam ear cracked, I get about 15 pounds on it with a tiny dab of blue lock tight. Every time I have removed the bolts to change settings after testing, they have been tight as hell so I am really not that concerned with them backing out, but I guess over time it could get weaker and weaker. Damn it...

I guess there is no chance of Yamaha replacing the cams since it was their incorrect torque spec that caused them to crack in the first place...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I have this crack in my cam ear for this exact same reason. The bolt still stays in tight and I used a tiny dab of blue lock tight on it to make sure it does not back out. I have had no issues thus far. I know it's not the smartest thing but I consulted a number of different people before deciding not to replace the cams and they all agreed that I should be ok.

I figured it was maybe just my torque wrench or me messing it up. Nice to know that the torque spec was wrong and it was not my own stupidity.

Thank you Riva and Jerry for the info!
    sounds like a good justification to get the r&d racing cams for you hitman !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Nice Biz!

+1
    Talked to a couple guys and the general consensus seems that it's ok to go ahead and run the cams the way I am. The tiny little crack in the cam ear is not going to hurt it as long as the bolt still gets tight, which it does. There are other guys running it this same way.

Thread Information