Looking for best way to tie down ski to trailer?

Well I made it through my first summer with a ski, using the crappy tie-downs supplied by the dealer. If you can see them in the pictures, it's just 2 ratchet-style tie-downs that I have to loop through the eylets on the back of the ski, around the trailer frame and then run the strap through the ratchet gears.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (4).jpg 
Views:	1820 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	222651

This is a pain for several reason:
    1) When I get off the water it's usually getting dark and I'm tired. Having to use this setup is a major pain.
    2) I have to get the ratchet in the right position before I tighten it down, or else it can bounce against the hull while driving and damage the hull.
    3) The strap is showing some wear where it rubs against the trailer frame.

I've been looking to get a new set of tie-downs that use hook's at the end and have either a padded ratchet piece, or are the type that you just pull to tighten (no ratcheting) involved.

However, I'm running into a few issues w/ this solution:
    1) There is nothing to keep the hook that would go on the trailer frame from sliding and thus loosing the strap.
    2) The distance from the eyelets to the frame is about 2 feet and I'm having issues finding any straps that short.

What do you guys use for tie-downs? thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are there no holes in the frame that you could hook the strap ends into?

One option may be to install transom ratchet tie-down straps, normally sold for boats. The ratchet section bolts into the trailer frame, and the strap hooks into the hull loop. Also sold as bow tiedown straps, with slightly different strap configuration.

Ratchet straps are much more reliable, and hold tighter, than simple cam action straps.

If you still find the straps too long, consider hooking them higher up on the tow hook under the seat.

Once solution I saw that I liked.....

I saw a guy that had put in an eyehook in the hole where the trailer frame dips down in the back (you can see the hole in the picture). Then he just the hooks on each strap from the eyelet on the hull, down to the eyehook.

The owner wasn't around, so I wasn't able to ask where he got straps short enough for this.

+1
    I have tried them all, no kidding, can't use the ratchet style that mount to the trailer either. Salt water just eats em up. I finally settled on these. they come in 2 foot incremental lengths. used these all this past summer and have held up really well.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3015_200333015
    The price wasn't to bad of the 4 footers, around 15 bucks for a pair.

+1
    What works the best for me is the lever type boat tie down that you just pull the strap until it is tight and then flip a lever over to tighten/lock it. I run it across the rear decks of one or both skis on the trailer and they stay secure. They are MUCH easier than the ratchet type and adjust in length much easier.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    What works the best for me is the lever type boat tie down that you just pull the strap until it is tight and then flip a lever over to tighten/lock it. I run it across the rear decks of one or both skis on the trailer and they stay secure. They are MUCH easier than the ratchet type and adjust in length much easier.
    +1
    http://www.amazon.com/Epco-Lock-Tran...214579&sr=8-13

+1
    JR tightened down a ratchet strap across the rear deck of an aquatrax this weekend and it stayed tightened for almost 1000 miles on my trip home.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by schredder View Post
    ...the ratchet style that mount to the trailer ... Salt water just eats em up...
    Did you try the Stainless Steel versions, such as these SS transom ratchet tie-down straps from West Marine?

Thread Information