Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

951 Build Stock Carbs Or 48 Novi ???

I wanted to get some input on my build , I'm looking at doing a Silver 951 rebuild starting with a crankworks billet stock stroke crank, 1st over cylinder stock, R&D Head, Coffmans Pipe, R&D intake Manifold with Vforce 2 reeds, Air filters , Micro Touch Rev Limiter.

Would the stock carbs with rejetting run well, or would there be enough difference in the novi 48s? Ski is going to be used as a family cruiser/I like good running stuff type boat.

I have all parts listed (no crank) and any Suggestions would be Great
    (Do I stroke it any, Port cases, Raise ports , Leave it stock)
    John

+1
    You picked the wrong ski to have as a modified ski and have as a family cruiser.!

Stock carbs will work fine with everything you have with some jetting but with a head you may need some higher octane fuel then 91/93 just depends on how you set it up. Squish...compression then timing correction with the MT. I would start all with low compression and timing.

Really you should start with a complete stock motor and pipe after the rebuild then add the parts for maximum benifits and least amount of struggle. Unless you have built enough ski's and know what your doing then bolt it all up. But makes it harder to diagnios a problem.

The 48's would be over kill.
    I would put the reeds and manifold on....with the MT and probably the head and call it good if you want a family ski...Even then this ski is on edge all ready from the factory so small mods can end up qith a dead hole quick.

Still best advice build it stock first so you know it runs correct then add the parts unless your comfortable and know what your doing.

Jonny,
    Thank you for replying. I am familar with engines and performance mods on Kaw and Yam, I have spent sometime around SD but I'm not up 2 speed on the 951s. I am looking at any reccommended upgrades and suggestions on the parts before I assemble. Somtimes there are things that are a big improvement over OEM or highly suggested to improve the ski.

I've read somethings on the Vforce reeds not being that relieable on 951s. As for the 48s I run some on a Yam Spec 701 and they are Great, but I figured the 46Is would be fine . Just looking at all input. Thanks, John

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you should read this if you havent already....http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...nd-1050-setups

Yea I have been checking Ben's post out.
    I'm checking any info I can read to make my plan on which way I'm going.
    Just neeed to work out a few things and pull the trigger on this build.
    John

+1
    One thing about Yams and kawi is that the mod factor is way easier when it comes to getting some bolt on's and going. Not so much the same with the seadoo 951..or the kawi ultra/stxr 150 for the matter. Both are mod sensative ski's with out knowledge or R&D/testing which lucky there has been alot here already done but still some is a test for yourself and see what happens.
    Some info here is good but I use it lightly for a baseline but usally go my own way. Like getting specs I get here are usaully good start points but never where I end up.

Some people told me a head would be a first good mod on 91 octane. which would be about 155-165 on compression on my 951...all stock at that time. Well with a head and the flame arrestors and rejet My ski with 160 psi would go boom in about 5 mins...

Mainly because most testing done on these ski's where down when fuel was actaully better now with the e-10 problems my ski stock will not run on 87 which is what is was made to run on even 89 wont do it with out alot of pinging going on. even at 91 it's close once in a while and some times I here and "broken/shattered' glass sound but I do ride my ski harder then the daily rec rider.

Now with the flame arrestor mod and carb mods and timing corretion at "0" the ski runs alot better to where im banging the 7200 rev limit all the time which the ski stops at 7150 which is where the rev limit starts to kick in and also where the timing stays and will not drop off which is why a MT or reflash is kind of needed unless you raise the trailing egde of your prop to drop rpm's. Im going with a more stock class xpl so I want to keep my rpm's up.
    I honestly dont think 48's are going to make that much of a difference besides suck more fuel with minimal gain. Not when you have a correct setup on stock carbs. Now if you have then already and dont mind burning a little more fuel and tunning those in thats up to you.

But if you stay at 7150 or above on rpm you will want a MT ...or reflash but with the reflash you will more then likely need the 48's or another aftermarket carb as most people that I have talked to from major shops said the stock carbs dont supply the right amount of fuel in a cruise range and so will lean out with a reflashed mpem, so there is alot more then just bolting stuff up and going with this ski.
    Which seems to be why I see and heir alot of stories why the 951 blows the motor alot even with simple bolt on's.....timing,squish, and jetting make a big differance and if you dont pay attention and check those along with wash then you may end up with one of those blown motors.

I will be posting more pics on my project later but it's just been busy but I have done some stuff to it. But minimal at the moment.

Hope this helps you out more. There are a ton of opinions to draw a conclusion for your self on here. Which in turn helps out as well.

Jonny you bring up some good points, I have a couple full blown Mod Boats and I'm not looking for that out of this ski, But I also love having special stuff and that drives me to push for more.
    This is why I posted this thread. I'm trying to weigh my options. My problem is the project

The ski is a Carbon GP from Riva back in the day, it had a twin yam stroker in it when we got it (engine went into freeride standup). I have a complete Yam 760 w/ pipe I could drop in and let her ride and be done. Or I have picked up a 98 gtx that had a coffman pipe, 48 novi, rd intake , vforce reeds and micro touch. I put the boat back to stock and sold it and ended up with all the aftermrket parts.
    I also have a complete 951 long block that needs to be rebuilt which is no problem. The Carbon GP has a Seadoo X-4 bottom and a Seadoo drive line and Magnum seadoo pump, so I figured that would make a cool build droping a 951 in. But I want a good reliable boat for her and 4 year old but I would like a 60 plus boat for whwen I ride
    Thanks, John

+1
    I know the gp hull it's bad and would like one my self.... you could drop the 951 in here which will require some work with mounts but thats about it then elec hook up.

But having both it a hard problem which I have found because I want the same thing but best conclusion is just a wife ski only that way it always runs....always starts and reuires the basics.....gas and a plug change once in a while. With the economy you should be able to find a cheap used ski that will take care of those needs the wife wants which is something that runs smooth with a good ride. I recommend the 96/97 gtx with the 800. Green and white .....with the best family riding hull and enough power to play on. And a great cruiser.....and best of all a decent amount around at a fair price.
    Not sure what your wife is like but if the kids are on she wants a ride that is not harsh and doesnt blast water in there face everytime they hit a wave.

GO for the gp build for yourself ...and sell the novi's and maybe a couple other parts and find a family ski....

Jonny I'm your guy!!! I have 2 of the Carbon GP hulls and 1 Carbon Raider Hull w/ Gp Bottom.

I'm looking to down size
    To many boats in the staple 9 or 10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information