+1

Ski always stored outdoors with seats left on. A Problem?

It's been brought to my attention that a ski I'm about to purchase (with 4 year warranty) was always stored outside with the seat left on, and a cover over the ski. It's only ever been used in a freshwater lake, so salt isn't an issue here. The owner has told me the cover has a slight mildew. Could this affect the internals of the ski? Other than obvious rust, is there anything I should check for before paying my money?

+1
    IMO if you are posting 4 and 5 threads about your concern(s) then don't buy it. (It sounds rude, but I can't think of another way to say it, sorry in advance) I have always done that. If something feels off, I walk away. OR you could have the current owner drop it by and have it inspected front to back. Compression, plugs, oil, wear ring and prop. If it all checks out and the dealer gives the stamp of approval, it would ease my mind a bit. I know the dealers aren't the most reliable. Just request to be there when it is done. That is what I did. Or take your tools and inspect it for yourself (done this too. The owners reaction is usually of them being stunned when I snatch the pump off and look around). Easy to do. I wouldn't buy it sight unseen and unchecked.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    It's been brought to my attention that a ski I'm about to purchase (with 4 year warranty) was always stored outside with the seat left on, and a cover over the ski. It's only ever been used in a freshwater lake, so salt isn't an issue here. The owner has told me the cover has a slight mildew. Could this affect the internals of the ski? Other than obvious rust, is there anything I should check for before paying my money?
    Both of mine are stored with the covers on. One outside and one in the garage. I would think that as long as they were cranked up every now and then, there would be no side effects from the storage.

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    IMO if you are posting 4 and 5 threads about your concern(s) then don't buy it. (It sounds rude, but I can't think of another way to say it, sorry in advance) I have always done that. If something feels off, I walk away. OR you could have the current owner drop it by and have it inspected front to back. Compression, plugs, oil, wear ring and prop. If it all checks out and the dealer gives the stamp of approval, it would ease my mind a bit. I know the dealers aren't the most reliable. Just request to be there when it is done. That is what I did. Or take your tools and inspect it for yourself (done this too. The owners reaction is usually of them being stunned when I snatch the pump off and look around). Easy to do. I wouldn't buy it sight unseen and unchecked.
    I wouldn't be stunned, but then I wouldn't let you take a tool to my "for sale" ski. If you want it delivered to a dealer for a pre purchase inspection after all terms are agreed upon and I have a deposit check, then OK. But to let a stranger start taking my pump out just because he says he knows how and has tools, no way.

As to the storage issue. I had a 2004 SC that was "stored" on the dock for 6 summers. I stored it inside during the winter with no cover. After that time, the cover had mildew on it too. It is in a wet environment. If the sea is moldy or the electronics or other parts inside the hull look rusted, that is one thing. But I don't think a moldy cover is evidence of a sinister condition in the Sea Doo itself.

+1
    I would agree with that.

+1
    Picked the ski up last Saturday. The main problem was that the ski was 500 miles away, so I was obviously concerned about wasting all my time and effort. Anyway, turned out to be a pretty good deal. Picked up the black 2008 RXT 215 to go along with my red one. The inside of the ski was fairly wet, as it was a rainy day. However, I didn't see any rust anywhere. Removed the spark plug boots and checked inside the cylinders for rust, it all looked good. Cosmetically, the hull was also in great shape. The owner had let the oil go a little longer than I would have liked (50 hours), but not too big of a deal. Has an extended warranty through May of 2014, so that's cool also. Giving it an oil and plug change tonight...Hopefully I'll be able to do some wetsuit riding this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skis.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	223256

+1
    thats a good find....won't be nearly as brutal doing bimini on that ride!!

Thread Information