Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cowling scoops?

cowling scoops?

i went riding this past weekend and saw 2 pretty fast FZRs with scoops by the fairings.. anyone know how to make those scoops from the cowlings?? does anyone think it will make a difference??

thanks

+1
    scoops?? you mean they removed the chrome pieces and drilled holes behind it?

+1
    It won't make it a ton faster as a matter of fact it may not make it any faster. That's just ventilating the and possibly lowering the IAT's but performance gain is minimal.

305coco- yes that's exactly what they did...

Waterholic- thanks..

But I also heard that with the scoops, you have to raise your back seat with washers I. Order for the hot air to leave the hull... This is starting to sound complicated so I might stay away from this mod..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandinga22 View Post

Waterholic- thanks..

But I also heard that with the scoops, you have to raise your back seat with washers I. Order for the hot air to leave the hull... This is starting to sound complicated so I might stay away from this mod..
    EdFZR did a test of temp gains from removing the rear seat on the FZR. He reported very minimal gains with the rear seat off. IMO its not worth it. I did however gain a full 100rpms by running with both seats off but obviously that isn't very functional.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandinga22 View Post

Waterholic- thanks..

yes if you let more air in by the front you need to let it out by the rear for the air to flow.
    you ever noticed on a windy day out, you open the front window or door of your house and no air comes in ?? then you open a back door or window and you get a bunch of air rushing/ flowing thru your house??.. well, same principal here if you create some openings near the front its wise to do the same at the rear of the ski to get the air flowing..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    EdFZR did a test of temp gains from removing the rear seat on the FZR. He reported very minimal gains with the rear seat off. IMO its not worth it. I did however gain a full 100rpms by running with both seats off but obviously that isn't very functional.

mike if your gaining rpm's/ speed by removing the seats you are leaving free speed on the table as is..
    your slightly starving the engine from air at wot, and these SC engines suck lots of air at wot, try and get more air flowing in that hull, to be able to keep those 100 rpm's with the seats on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    mike if your gaining rpm's/ speed by removing the seats you are leaving free speed on the table as is..
    your slightly starving the engine from air at wot, and these SC engines suck lots of air at wot, try and get more air flowing in that hull, to be able to keep those 100 rpm's with the seats on.
    Unfortunately, I have to keep all my air mods pretty conservative due to offshore riding and the risk of water ingestion. I think JD has the best intake for lakes and flat water riding but I would never use it offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    yes if you let more air in by the front you need to let it out by the rear for the air to flow.
    you ever noticed on a windy day out, you open the front window or door of your house and no air comes in ?? then you open a back door or window and you get a bunch of air rushing/ flowing thru your house??.. well, same principal here if you create some openings near the front its wise to do the same at the rear of the ski to get the air flowing..
    seems like alot to do with no visible gains... i just took the foams out and put the fairings back... the scoops might not be such a good idea for me either since most of my riding is offshore in miami.

+1
    This is a free mod for the FZR that will not be an issue at all for ocean riders, just make sure the holes are after the tube that goes into the engine so that you don't get any water in. Follow Jerry's build and you will see how easy is to do, and the gains will depend on the mods you have. Just remove the cooler from the back seat and you will have a good gap for air to go out, you can also open holes in the back of the plastic piece or use washers to lift up the seat.

I ride with a lot of FZR in the ocean here in Miami that have this mod and none have ingested any water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information