Thread: more learned...

more learned...

I continue to learn so much from this site--thanks to everyone! Season here in Tally is likely over, although I did get out two weeks ago. But more interestingly, I noticed last week that one of my trailer tires was flat, so I jacked it up and was talking to my neighbor about it (used to ride and wrench bikes). He recommended Walmart for new tires, which are great (wheels and tires $30). Got some stem replacements as well.

BUT he noticed lots of grease on the backside of the hubs--so he taught me how to replace the bearing seals and bearings today with the little kits, a ton of grease, and a LOT of paper towels. It was fun, and I guess no one has ever mentioned trailer maintenance on this forum because it's so basic. Just another cool thing I've learned that I enjoy; looking forward to more! It was the first time I really felt the calmness and pride of knowing I did something well on a machine--as a "mechanic!"

Hopefully we'll get one more round of warm days before Christmas or New Years, or else wait until March. Hope all of you are doing great and have a fantastic holiday season!

JP

+1
    We have an entire section dedicated to trailers.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/foru...g-and-Trailers

+1
    Generally, whenever I buy a trailer of any kind the first thing I do is run through the hubs to replace all seals, check race and bearing condition, and properly pack everything in grease. You're right that most people overlook this bit of maintenance. I like to be confident that my wheels are in good condition. I don't want to be that guy on the side of the road with a wheel off because a bearing went south. Not that things can't happen, but simple maintenance like this significantly reduces the chances of breakdowns like this.

KJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    ... run through the hubs to replace all seals, check race and bearing condition, and properly pack everything in grease.

...simple maintenance like this significantly reduces the chances of breakdowns...
    +1

Ignore your trailer long enough and one day something will fail and you won't be riding your PWC like you had planned.

Have a look through the Trailers sections. Lots of good info to be found.

Another item that gets old and weak with time and exposure is the web strap for the bow winch. Inspect it thoroughly, and replace at the first sign of weakness or excessive age. Delagem almost lost his ski when the winch rope failed.

+1
    And given that skis track record, it disappearing in my rearview mirror would have been a blessing...

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    LOL....Funny

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    And given that skis track record, it disappearing in my rearview mirror would have been a blessing...

Thread Information