100 octane gasoline used on yamaha

Has anybody tried using 100 octane gasoline on a yamaha 2-stroke and 4-stroke?
    Would it cause any problems based on the experience of those who have tried?
    Thanks

+1
    You will be wasting your money, higher octane fuel is only beneficial if you have a motor that is going to make the most of it. Its common to lose power on a standard engine by using a high octane fuel, also avgas has a tendancy to run hot which can cause other issues. Your best just using the recommended fuel for the application until you modify your engine.

+1
    Using higher octane in your FXHO will help stop the common issue of plugs fouling. Yamaha only stipulate the minimum requirement.......leaving the argument of cost out of it, running higher octane in the yammi four strokes, will not cause any problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200Jet View Post
    You will be wasting your money, higher octane fuel is only beneficial if you have a motor that is going to make the most of it. Its common to lose power on a standard engine by using a high octane fuel, also avgas has a tendancy to run hot which can cause other issues. Your best just using the recommended fuel for the application until you modify your engine.
    Mine runs great on 110 octane...............Thats with running 180 psi. lol.

On a serious note always run the octane specified for the amount of compression you have. Going out of these lines will give you a loss in performance. Anything under 150 psi I would run 93.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200Jet View Post
    ...also avgas has a tendancy to run hot...
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Using higher octane in your FXHO will help stop the common issue of plugs fouling
    Where does this stuff come from?

+1
    Avgas runs hot. Not sure if your taking the piss and think I'm full of shit or just curious as to what this has to do with this topic.

There are so many variables with fuels even ones of the same octane rating, if you have ever bought race fuel you will know theres a long list of choices for each application. Each fuel having its own properties some designed for forced induction, N/A, nitros the list goes on. One property of avgas is that it burns extremely hot and extremely slow. So not only does it give a high cylinder head temp but it also runs out the back of your exhaust still burning. Not sure how our plastic exhausts would like this.

So what I'm really trying to say is unless you have a high comp race motor why would you use a fuel thats going to make your motor run hotter and not give you any more power.

Thread Information