Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Itunes Library Shift

I need some computer help. I have my iTunes library saved to my laptop. The HDD is 500gb, and is partitioned into 2 parts (100gb and 400gb). My library was originally saved to my 100gb drive which is now full. My question is how do I transfer my library from one area of my HDD to another without iTunes flipping out? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Pauly C.

I'm going through this issue right now. And yes, Itunes "flipping out"
    I'm NOT a Mac user, and I went to the Apple store for help, and they told me they wouldn't help me, even after I offered to pay. I couldn't believe it, because a couple years ago the people at the same exact Apple store SET IT UP FOR ME THAT WAY.
    A couple days ago, I took my computer to Geek Squad, and picked it up last night and brought it home. I turned it on, and my itunes still won't work the way it needs to. It won't recognze the library.
    I also learned this week that Itunes will no longer support the transfer of songs into new editions of Itunes that were not purchased from them.
    Thus, the 1000 or so songs that I had on CD, that I put on my Itunes then sold the discs, I will not be able to transfer them in the future.

Apple, IMO, you now totally officially SUCK.

+1
    WOW... That's crazy. I can't see apple kicking out your past library though. I guess you could just save your library to a external hard drive, and import it back once you upgrade. I'm gonna have to look into this more.

Sorry to hear you had to go to geeksquad. I know they charge CRAZY amounts of cash for simple operations.

I'm guessing there is a fairly easy way to do the change, I'm just not tech-savvy enough to do it. lol

Thanks again,
    Pauly C.

I have had some computer issues that have resulted in me having to restore a few times...everytime I just put all my music/movies/TV shows on an external hard drive and then reload it all. It has worked for me each time. Some of it was purchased through iTUnes, most of it not, and iTunes has recognized it each time. I am using whatever is the latest iTunes version because I had to download it again.

If you move the files to a different partition/folder, you will have to import them again. You just clear out your current library, and import the songs again from the new location. If you don't clear out the iTunes library before you load the songs from the new location, you will have issues with the songs trying to link to the files that aren't there anymore.

+1
    Ok. Here is a "clean" way to do this. Go into your iTunes preferences. Make sure the options "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTUnes Media folder when adding to library" UNCHECKED. That will prevent iTunes from copying them back on to your main hard drive (HD).

On you computer you will need to find your "iTunes Library" (probably in a Documents folder, which I believe is something like: My Documents -> My Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Music) and copy all your songs to your other HD. You can rename this folder to something else if you want on the new HD (e.g. Music). In the iTunes application, delete everything from your iTunes Music Library so that there is no music. It will probably ask to confirm this and may ask if you want to move the stuff to the Trash, so that will be up to you. Now drag the Music folder that you moved to a different HD into iTunes. It should re-load all the music (this may take awhile). Note that since you are not storing the music in the iTunes folder anymore, if you move it to a different place later on, it may mess up iTunes and it won't know where to find the music. If you sync iPods, etc., it will probably get confused and think that it also has to move all the music to the iPod again, so be prepared for that to take awhile too. After you are sure that all the music was moved properly to the new HD, you can delete it out of the old iTunes Music folder to free up space. I would alway recommend that you also backup your music to another external HD frequently as HD's *will* go bad at some point.

Now when you put new music on the computer, you should add it to your new Music folder and then drag it to iTunes to add it. If you "import" music from a CD, or purchase it from the iTunes store, it will put that music in the original iTunes Music folder on your main HD. So if you do not want the music to go there, you will have to copy it from there to the other HD, remove it from iTunes, then drag back in from the other HD to re-add it. Yes, that is pain in the @$$, but if you want to "organize" the music yourself, that is what you need to do.

If you have any questions, just post back.

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    Surf, actually you want "Copy files to iTUnes Media folder when adding to library" checked so that any music added will go to the correct library wherever it may be, it sends music to the location you set in the preference panel.

Basically its not that hard to maintain a library through the years on different computers. here is what you need to know.

the image on the left shows my itunes is located on the partition Mikes Media, if you move itunes grab everything in the folder level I named iTunes, the folder with the music is within that folder but you cant just grab the music folder, get all of it one level up (gray bar) getting all of it allows you to move to a new computer and everything looking like it hasent moved. After you have moved the complete folder with all the stuff including the music folder then drag the music folder into open itunes program window to load it or start itunes and select an location in the advanced pref pane.

next in itunes just make sure in the advanced pref panel you naviagate and set your location of the media folder location.

hope this helps some

Ps (all of Surfs instructions are wrong follow at your own risk) sorry dude

I downloaded and was using itunes 1 hour after it was released in like 2000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itunes.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	223680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prefs.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	223679  

+1
    Hmmm, that is interesting that you can put it in a different place. I didn't notice that as I don't use that function. I was using iTunes before it was iTunes and was called "Sound Jam" by Cassady & Greene. Heh.

Personally I don't like the way that iTunes "organizes" stuff, so I would never use that option. I also have my music, movies, etc. on different HD's, so that is not an option for the way I do things. As they say, "to each his own".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meirvin View Post
    Surf, actually you want "Copy files to iTUnes Media folder when adding to library" checked so that any music added will go to the correct library wherever it may be, it sends music to the location you set in the preference panel.

Basically its not that hard to maintain a library through the years on different computers. here is what you need to know.

the image on the left shows my itunes is located on the partition Mikes Media, if you move itunes grab everything in the folder level I named iTunes, the folder with the music is within that folder but you cant just grab the music folder, get all of it one level up (gray bar) getting all of it allows you to move to a new computer and everything looking like it hasent moved. After you have moved the complete folder with all the stuff including the music folder then drag the music folder into open itunes program window to load it or start itunes and select an location in the advanced pref pane.

next in itunes just make sure in the advanced pref panel you naviagate and set your location of the media folder location.

hope this helps some

Ps (all of Surfs instructions are wrong follow at your own risk) sorry dude

I downloaded and was using itunes 1 hour after it was released in like 2000
    Meirvin-

Looks like you're using a Mac. Would this be different on a PC with windows7?

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Hmmm, that is interesting that you can put it in a different place. I didn't notice that as I don't use that function. I was using iTunes before it was iTunes and was called "Sound Jam" by Cassady & Greene. Heh.

Personally I don't like the way that iTunes "organizes" stuff, so I would never use that option. I also have my music, movies, etc. on different HD's, so that is not an option for the way I do things. As they say, "to each his own".
    Surf Rider,

Thanks, I'll look at this when I get home to my laptop tonight.

ALL-

Thanks for your help. I am basically looking fo a way to move my files, keep all the info I already have (ratings, times played, skipped, etc etc) and also save new music to the new folder to "streamline" my library and computer performance. All in all I have about 50gb of music, and I'm not trying to loose any of it. Been down that road, don't wanna go back.

Thanks again for all your help, I really do appreciate it. I'll look into this tonight, and keep you guys posted.

Pauly C.

+1
    It sounds like you may want to try what Meirvin said then if you want to try and keep your ratings, times played, etc. intact. I'm not sure how it works on the PC, but on the Mac, you can "open" the "iTunes Library" file by holding down the "option" key (might be Control on Win) while launching the app and it will prompt you for your iTunes Library file. The only thing I don't know is if you move your whole iTunes folder to the other drive, that you might be able to do this and navigate to the new HD/folder and if you select that iTunes Library file and it will know the correct location of all the files after opening this file. You could probably try this by copying your entire iTunes folder to the new HD. Then try this and see if after you select the new iTunes folder that in the Preferences that it shows the new location of the folder (similar to what is shown above in the picts).

+1
    the keep organized thing does help with duplicates. Before you move anything backup iTunes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information