Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'05 GTX SC Oil burning question

Hi, I'm new to the site but have been reading on & off for awhile. I have a question regarding my '05 GTX SC. A little history: I bought this '05 ski used in '05 with a blown motor with only 10 hours on it. Guy did the first oil change but forgot to replace the oil! Daughter took off wide open and seized the motor. Warranty wouldn't cover it and it was too costly for him to repair so he sold it to me cheap. I bought it in November of '05 and then ordered an SBT block that winter and started the engine swap the next April. Everything went well with the swap and a personal friend of mine was a Sea-Doo dealer so I had access to the driveshaft alignment tool and he also reflashed the ECU. From day one, the thing started up immediately and has run great over the past 5 seasons. It still runs perfectly but I have an oil burning issue. I have to top off every two rides or so. For the most part it has only been an annoyance and I always carry an extra quart of NON-synthetic oil with me. I don't drive the thing hard at all(mainly cruising) and the new motor only has maybe 50-60 hours on it total since I put it in in the spring of '06. When replacing the long block, was there something I could have missed that would cause the the motor to burn oil? Is there some gasket or seal that would cause this on my installation? I have looked through the Sea-Doo engine service manual I bought when doing this project and can't seem to find anything. Any ideas and/or tips or clues would be helpful on this. It has burned oil since day one of the swap and hasn't gotten better ot worse in the past 5 seasons.

Also, I'm aware of the supercharger issues with these. I don't run it hard an the supercharger still has only about 70 hours on it total. However, I think I am going to take it off this upcoming spring and have it gone through. Who would do a good job on the SC rebuild?

Thanks in advance.

+1
    The rebuild recomendation is found here Jerry knows his stuff. He will do it right and you cannot beat the price. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...rs-changed-etc.

I would also get a viton seal. 20 bucks and a better oil seal than oem and can be replaced when you rebuild the SC.
    Thread can be found here.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ercharger-Seal

Worth the money IMO!! Hope this helps.

+1
    It's burning oil, correct? You don't notice any in the hull? When I dropped my supercharger and went on "The Great Needle Bearing Hunt Of 2010", I forgot to put the clamp on the bearing that the driveshaft goes thru. I was loosing a little oil here and there, but it was showing up in the hull.

If you're burning oil, you could be getting some blow-by into the cylinders. Do a leak down test, and see what it loos like.

+1 on Jerry and Viton seals. Top Notch on both accounts!

Hope this helps
    Pauly C.

+1
    Good advice already on this ... I would do a compression test on all 3 cylinders, very quick and easy to do. Actually before that, I would pull the SC to TB hose and check for oil ... if the SC seal is bad, it is possible to pull a good bit of oil from the SC and push it back thru the TB and engine. Check those two things and report back and we can diagnose much easier.

+1
    Just pull the SC and take the front housing off. If you see oil spray within the inside of the housing, you have a bad seal more than likely. Also, you will need to pull your IC and clean it out as the oil might have clogged it a little. Any non corrosive detergent will work to clean it out. Just something to break down the oil. Pull the piping leading away from the SC into the IC and to the TB. Clean them all out while you are waiting on your 1 day turnaround for your SC at Jerry's. PM Eric and get you a VITON seal for $20 and send it with your SC to Jerry if that is the route to go. He's the 'Pope' of chargers for a reason. Helps the needed and heals the sick (sc). That's the easiest way to check if you have a bad seal IMO....

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. I guess I will pull out the supercharger and have it rebuilt with the new washers and seal. Hopefully that will end my issues. When you guys say TB is that throttle body? This ski is supercharged and not intercooled so I shouldn't have to worry about that portion.
    Pauly, I was extra careful putting this thing back together. I followed every detail in the service manual and torqued/loc-tited every single bolt. If I didn't understand something, I figured it out before moving forward. I didn't want to be stranded miles down the lake because I failed to do something correctly. I'm sure I did not miss the clamp you speak of. There is no oil in the bottom of the hull. I know it's burning oil because of the blue smoke that is present in the exhaust.
    This thing is a great ski and has never missed a beat. The oil burning has always been a concern however. Hopefully with the tips you guys have provided, I can get both issues taken care of at the same time.

I also just bought an '02 GTX 4tec naturally aspirated ski with a crankshaft that has the tip broken off. I will be ordering another SBT motor and replacing this one as well this upcoming spring. It's a shame, the motor still runs but the tip of the crank where the driveshaft plugs in has sheared completely off. Again, the guy didn't want to spend the $$ to fix it so I got this one for just a few hundred dollars.

I guess one last question. I've had pretty good luck with SBT. I also used one of their 800cc 2 stroke motors in my '96 XP and now this 4-tec motor. I've been pretty happy. Is there anyone else who remanufactures motors? Does SBT have a pretty good reputation overall?

Thanks again in advance....Robb

+1
    SBT is the only one I have ever used. They guarantee their motors for 2 years on any mechanical issues. That's why I use them. Great for OEM prop swaps. For 25 buck you can't beat it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stv1991 View Post
    I guess one last question. I've had pretty good luck with SBT. I also used one of their 800cc 2 stroke motors in my '96 XP and now this 4-tec motor. I've been pretty happy. Is there anyone else who remanufactures motors? Does SBT have a pretty good reputation overall?

Thanks again in advance....Robb
    Robb,
    I know lots of people don't like SBT. We've used SBT up here for several motor swaps, and have yet to have a problem. Honestly, I think they have a pretty good warranty. I don't know of any other reman motor shops. I know there are a few sellers on ebay that rebuild, but I would shy away from those.

DO shy away from the SBT wear rings. They fit too tight. I think it's worth getting the OEM wear ring.

Pauly C.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Just pull the SC and take the front housing off. If you see oil spray within the inside of the housing, you have a bad seal more than likely. Also, you will need to pull your IC and clean it out as the oil might have clogged it a little. Any non corrosive detergent will work to clean it out. Just something to break down the oil. Pull the piping leading away from the SC into the IC and to the TB. Clean them all out while you are waiting on your 1 day turnaround for your SC at Jerry's. PM Eric and get you a VITON seal for $20 and send it with your SC to Jerry if that is the route to go. He's the 'Pope' of chargers for a reason. Helps the needed and heals the sick (sc). That's the easiest way to check if you have a bad seal IMO....
    PM Eric? Im the only one selling these seals. I think you meant me since mine and Eric (SpeedFreaks Racing) are close in name. But maybe I'm wrong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak_039A View Post
    PM Eric? Im the only one selling these seals. I think you meant me since mine and Eric (SpeedFreaks Racing) are close in name. But maybe I'm wrong.
    Nick not Eric. I was talking to my buddy Eric at the time I was typing this up. Sorry for the mix-up Nick O.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information