+1

Thumbs down 06 RXP's dropping valves

Has anyone had a problem with 06 skis dropping heads off valves just like the 04 and 05 ones. ?
    Exacally the same as the trouble ones that no one would own up to ?

I thought the 06 had a totally different head set up, with one piece valve and possibly the same bottom end, if you did a check on block serial numbers.

Had a problem with a STOCK ski with 119 hours on it, dropped an exhaust valve and bent the inlets.
    Yes a mess, and a piss off big time

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with 06 skis dropping heads off valves just like the 04 and 05 ones. ?
    Exacally the same as the trouble ones that no one would own up to ?

I thought the 06 had a totally different head set up, with one piece valve and possibly the same bottom end, if you did a check on block serial numbers.

Had a problem with a STOCK ski with 119 hours on it, dropped an exhaust valve and bent the inlets.
    Yes a mess, and a piss off big time
    Yes some of the early 06 valves were fo the same construction as the 04/05 valves, Have a look on the end ov the valve you will see a number, 72524TK is the early type that suffer the same issues.

But the problem is nearly always caused by not fogging the engine when its going to sit for a long time or water injestion both of which cause corrosion to the valve stems which causes the valve to stick down and get hit by the piston.

R88

Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    .....corrosion to the valve stems which causes the valve to stick down and get hit by the piston.

R88
    As I posted in an earlier thread about this, I am 100% convinced this is not the failure mechanism. They fail from the corrosion, for sure, but the actual failure mechanism is corrosion-induced microcracking of the valve stem, which weakens the valve at the spot where the valve is hollow. The head of the valve eventually pops off from the shock of closing against the seat. Since I posted this last time, I looked under magnification at the valve stem of the one I have here that is broken , and you can clearly see corrosion fatigue at the beaching zone of the crack. The other factors are that these early valves are more prone to corrosion cracking because they are made of an alloy that is both brittle and easily corroded. The late valves (starting with "75") are made of Inconel which is less prone to corrosion, it's less brittle and tougher so it bends rather than shattering, and they are solid to boot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    As I posted in an earlier thread about this, I am 100% convinced this is not the failure mechanism. They fail from the corrosion, for sure, but the actual failure mechanism is corrosion-induced microcracking of the valve stem, which weakens the valve at the spot where the valve is hollow. The head of the valve eventually pops off from the shock of closing against the seat. Since I posted this last time, I looked under magnification at the valve stem of the one I have here that is broken , and you can clearly see corrosion fatigue at the beaching zone of the crack. The other factors are that these early valves are more prone to corrosion cracking because they are made of an alloy that is both brittle and easily corroded. The late valves (starting with "75") are made of Inconel which is less prone to corrosion, it's less brittle and tougher so it bends rather than shattering, and they are solid to boot.
    That is some good info ther for sure, I dont know of anyone else that has really looked into this before. R88

Thread Information