am i over or under thinking things?

while i would like to do a rear air intake on my ski, it is not really an option for the riding i do and more importantly the people i ride with. splashing/spraying is a regular occurrence, plus some ocean riding and wave jumping happen a bit, so water ingestion is a concern for me. what i was thinking of doing to get some of the benefits of the rear air with less of the risks by coming straight off the charger to a filter, either off a 90 degree pointing straight up or maybe a 45, haven't checked clearances yet. then open up like the rear air setups so it is somewhat of a direct flow of fresh air to the filter. it won't be as good as a rear air, but it will eliminate what, 8' of intake hose, plus give it a supply of fresh air. am i missing something or overthinking the process? anyone try something similar?

+1
    I would think the 4" front would be more benefical and supply the charger with cooler air temps being its where air is drawn into the hull...before it passes the engine and warms up. Coming off the charger in the rear of the ski where the air normally exits and trying to create a vacuum in this area would more than likely draw in the warmer air temps that the motor creates before it pulls fresh air outside of the hull being its forced out there to begin with. Just my $.02

+1
    I had more water ingestion issues with my front air. Only had it happen once with rear air but I had had a bit of alcohol and a chick with me lol.

+1
    I was speaking more on performance reasons...not water ingestion. Although that does seem to be your concern. I tend to look at things more for performance...not safety.

what about if there was increased air flow through the hull via an inline fan or something like that to keep the air temps more equal through the hull and having a shorter intake "pipe" to flow through?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    what about if there was increased air flow through the hull via an inline fan or something like that to keep the air temps more equal through the hull and having a shorter intake "pipe" to flow through?
    for anything air intake related in the back of the engine to work it has to be 'direct'...in other words, that fan will have to push a good amount of air (enough CFM for the s/c to use) directly into whatever "pipe" you have set up, or it will be next to worthless. the gains vs. the time/effort of changing between systems might not be worth it.

so go rear air or leave the 4" kana intake alone is what i'm gathering?

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i picked up 1 lb of boost going to rear air..over a 4 inch front...i agree though the air exits the rear of the hull ..so it isnt the best.i still pick up 200 rpm when i take the seat off...everntually mine is going to draw air from the front buy having a fire wall between the front and the engine..and itis going to draw air from inside the seat...big big tube as to not create a restriction..

the silver tube stickin out is a left over but it shows how i had my front mounted..to draw fresh air..but not catch water ..never sucked a drop even jumping waves...having the hull half full of water...

i made this one it has a better transition into the charger than the riva one...

some leave the front air in and have it set up so they can hook it back up in a few min depending on the condisions they are riding..

awesome, thanks for the pics and info. now the hamster wheel is turning, lol.

Thread Information