Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Need help picking a prop!

Ok here's the deal... I picked up a 2001 GPR to eventually do a conversion with. Right now its in great shape and has a D-plate, waveeaters, freeflow, R&D Plate and 1200 grate. I want to start picking up parts for it that I can use on the ski NOW to have something for my wife to ride, but all the while moving towards the goal of a GPRXP. So now the question, I want to add an 05 pump and 2" extension on the ski, but don't know what sort of prop I could use. I'm not gonna do anymore motor mods so the power probably isn't gonna be there to turn a 14/20 Dynafly right now. What can I use??? Anyone have a suggestion? I have a pump lined up and this is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it. What about stock props from something like a FZR or SHO?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    Ok here's the deal... I picked up a 2001 GPR to eventually do a conversion with. Right now its in great shape and has a D-plate, waveeaters, freeflow, R&D Plate and 1200 grate. I want to start picking up parts for it that I can use on the ski NOW to have something for my wife to ride, but all the while moving towards the goal of a GPRXP. So now the question, I want to add an 05 pump and 2" extension on the ski, but don't know what sort of prop I could use. I'm not gonna do anymore motor mods so the power probably isn't gonna be there to turn a 14/20 Dynafly right now. What can I use??? Anyone have a suggestion? I have a pump lined up and this is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it. What about stock props from something like a FZR or SHO?
    The FZR-SHO drive shaft is bigger so the props will not work on an HO GPR pump.
    Start with getting a good tach. You can run a 14/20 DF but might have to repitch to get rpm's correct. You will need the 2" trim/steering extensions also.

I'd say a Solas 13/19.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    The FZR-SHO drive shaft is bigger so the props will not work on an HO GPR pump.
    Start with getting a good tach. You can run a 14/20 DF but might have to repitch to get rpm's correct. You will need the 2" trim/steering extensions also.
    I've got the PET from my 1390 ski so thats taken care of! So does anything beside a DF work? What about a stock 05+ GPR prop? I could tweak that...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim mcgreehan View Post
    I'd say a Solas 13/19.
    To the best of my knowledge they don't have a 13/19 Dynafly... the ski has a 13/19 Concord in it right now but the 05 pump would necessitate a change.

+1
    You can always try the stock prop and see but the FF and D plate might spin it on the holeshot even on stock compression and 1200 grate. TESTING!!!! go see if it works out and let us know. That pump/prop was set up for a higher HP engine so you might be ok. Is the pump sealed?

+1
    Pump will be sealed

+1
    Are you planning to get a complete RXP to do the conversion?

If yes, a better alternative might be to plan to use the Seadoo pump on the conversion. The Yamaha pump simply doesn't do a very good job with the large HP and torque available with the 4 stroke motors.

Whats worse, the impellers that have been developed for the SHO/FZR pump set-up which start to address the cavitation and poor hook-up issues can't be used on the 05 pump and driveshaft set-up. Specifically the twin impellers and 160 mm impellers won't fit the smaller GPR driveshaft. This leaves you with the Dynafly, which by comparison is a poor impeller in this (4 stroke) application.

So save the $ and don't buy the 05 pump, 2 in extension or Dynafly.

In the short term you could use any of the old style impellers, if you have a stock one in good shape use it. If not, there are lots of OEM impellers available cheap. Or if you wanted to spend some dollars I always felt the Nujet 6.5 was a very good option. As mentioned the Solas 13/19 is a good impeller, but it will be 2 mph slower than the Nujet.

+1
    I think he was just looking for a stock prop to get his 1200 2 stroke running unless im missing something.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    I've got the PET from my 1390 ski so thats taken care of! So does anything beside a DF work? What about a stock 05+ GPR prop? I could tweak that...
    that boat has an 87mm nozzle, so you can pull a stock HO style prop and probably a 14/20 DF with the siphon tube removed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information