Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1

Help save the bus driver!

I'm not sure where the blame lies here but the result was extreme prejudice for something ridiculous, especially this close to Christmas here in Champaign, Il. Lets help this guy get his job back.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...35431429847909

+1
    Cant believe they would fire someone for that. That's rediculous!

Banned User
    +1
    I can. He swerved out of his lane of traffic, into the opposing lane of traffic, just to hit an obstacle. That's just plain dumb, and irresponsible. It also calls into question what else the driver does, that he is not caught doing. It shows a lack of respect for following basic rules, like maintaining your vehicle in it's proper lane of travel. Unless he was swerving to the left, to avoid hitting a bicyclist/pedestrian that we couldn't see off camera.

Sorry, but he deserved it.
    I've seen video's of pilots doing stupid things....and while it all looks like fun and games, that pilot would never work for me, due to their careless disregard for the rules. That's what gets people killed.

In this day and age(this economy), there are just far to many other people out there, that can drive a bus, and will follow the rules. This driver was just a bad example of those that cannot follow the rules, and lucky for us, this was caught on tape. Makes you wonder what other rules he could/would have violated, and what the end result might have been.

Sorry, but I'm a stickler for rules when it comes to the transportation industry.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    @iflyems... I agree with you but I guess I would have liked to see his record. If there is nothing in his record and this was an isolated incident I feel probation and training would have sufficed.

...but I think its funny that they are using Snoman's avatar

+1
    The way I see it is that that snoman was a hazard and he got rid of it. Could have caused a serious acident if someone coming the other direction would have swerved to avoid it and hit someone head on.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    The way I see it is that that snoman was a hazard and he got rid of it. Could have caused a serious acdident if someone coming the other direction would have swerved to avoid it and hit someone head on.
    Um, yea, that was already mentioned in one of the posts on the video. The facts are as I stated them. Even an isolated incident indicates a callous disregard for rules and safety. I've seen it before with helicopter pilots, and they never made it up the "food chain" to higher jobs. Most, in fact, are no longer alive. Some slipped through the cracks, until eventually they meet their un-timely death, due to their poor decision making skills, and disregard for rules and safety. It's the attitude; "I've done it before, and nothing happened(I didn't get fired/crash), so I'll just do it again", that has killed a lot of people I called my friends.

Sorry, but I was involved in a few accident investigations, and the overwhelming "root" cause was "pilot" error. It's a complex problem, but what your seeing that bus driver do, is just one link in the chain of bad safety practices. If you break the chain, i.e. fire him, then the chance of him every being in a bus accident are zero.

I do feel sorry for the guy. But, he made a poor choice, and now he has to live with the consequences of that poor choice. Yea, I know, I'm a D i c k.......
    But, that's my opinion; he got what he deserved. Maybe he will learn a valuable lesson from this experience, and come away as a better, more employable bus driver in the future. But for now, he gets the big "time-out"....i.e. "You're Fired"......

There are just some jobs that have "zero tolerance" for errors. Being a Bus Driver, is one of those jobs. Anytime your entrusted with the public's safety, there should be zero tolerance for any kind of behavior like he exhibited. And zero tolerance means, you screw up, your fired.

+1

What if that snowman was made with cinder blocks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCA0X2QUI.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	223817  
    Attached Images Attached Images    

+1
    Im sorry but you cant compare a helicopter/ airplane to a bus going less then 5mph on an empty street. every one makes mistake and this is a very small one. Couple weeks or even a month off with out pay would teach him the same lesson. Ive seen cops do WAY worse then this that cause injury and get less then this.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    Im sorry but you cant compare a helicopter/ airplane to a bus going less then 5mph on an empty street. every one makes mistake and this is a very small one. Couple weeks or even a month off with out pay would teach him the same lesson. Ive seen cops do WAY worse then this that cause injury and get less then this.
    The speed is irrelevant. He deliberately swerved into the other lane to hit a snowman, in a Public Transportation Bus. Don't you see a problem with that??
    I'm sorry if I don't see this as a small problem. And yes, everyone makes mistakes, but this was a serious lapse in judgment, and may be indicative of the employee's immaturity, or inability to follow the rules.

Don't even get me started on what I've seen cops and firefighters do....and still keep their jobs. Remember the "rookie" cop who pulled his gun instead of a Taser, in Oakland, and killed the guy?? Priceless........

Anyone that is involved in the "transportation" industry has the same duties and responsibilities. That being; to follow the rules, and try and make sure nobody gets hurt or killed. Pretty simple really.

But, let's just say for the sake of argument, that he gets a few days off, slap on the wrist, then back to work. Then, a few years down the road, he swerves to miss a puppy/kitten/child, whatever, and slams head-on into a van full of children. Many are hurt, but fortunately none are killed.

Now, my kid just happened to be the one that was hurt the worst. I get a lawyer, he see's the Snowman video, and shows it to a jury during a Civil Trial, as a "pattern" that the driver shows a "careless disregard" while driving. Guess what??? The City is going to loose Millions on that lawsuit, all because of this one video, where this one driver, hit a Snowman at 5mph.

Yea, I'm stretching it a bit. But, from an employer perspective, I would not be willing to take that kind of risk with that employee. Employers need to think "long-term". And, sometimes they need to think and act quickly, for the benefit of all involved. The City(I'm assuming he was driving a City bus), had to make an "example" out of this guy...no other way to do it.
    If they had kept him employed, it would have been a PR nightmare.

Like I said; this is just my opinion, based on my experiences. I do feel sorry for the guy. Everyone has lapses in judgment. Meaning; everyone screws up from time to time.
    This guy is not permanently damaged(I'll even bet he was in a Union, and I'll bet they will fight for his position back, if he was in one, or transfer him to a desk). He can now go to another Public Transit Authority and say; "Look, this is me driving this bus. At the time, I could clearly see there was no other traffic coming, could see the kids filming, and thought it would be fun/funny, to hit the snowman with my empty bus. I now realize that I endangered not only the public, but myself, and passengers by doing something so foolish, and I learned a good lesson from the experience".

It's OK to make mistakes. As long as you acknowledge that it was an isolated incident, nobody was hurt, and it's not indicative of a behavior disorder, move on. Give him a job driving the Street Sweeper(he is a public employee???).

I'm sure there are other jobs "he"? can find. It's not like driving a bus, is the most skilled job in the World.

And herein lies the "problem" for just about anyone working in the "public eye". Camera's are every where. Everyone has one in the cell phone, etc. We've all seen the "subway shooting", taken by a cell phone.

What would have happened to that Officer, if that video did not exist??

I'm still waiting to here from PETS to respond. Who is PETS??
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Snowmen

I really can't believe how much your over thinking this Iflyems. It really doesn't matter if your in the "transportation" business or w/e it is that you said you do, getting fired for running a snowman over is absolutely ridiculous. No, I do not see a problem in swerving to hit a snowman that could potentially cause an accident on snowy roads, especially when there was nobody else on the road. Iflyems, do you never pass a car on a two lane road where you "swerved out of your lane of traffic"?

Im quite surprised that your on a PWC forum where I guarantee you 95% of us have had a "lack of judgement" while riding our jet skis...should we all never be aloud to touch a jet ski again??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information