Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This may sound like a really stupid question

Hello everyone,

Just a short simple question, a bit hard to explain though,

When you buy a MoTeC ECU (not a plug-in one) do you have to start tuning from the ground up? or can you get sensors and equipment that read your engine while it is running on the stock ECU, and basically transfer the stock ECU to the MoTec one.

I was basically just wondering if you could put all the data from the stock ECU somehow into the MoTeC one and play from there.

I hate to sound dumb but I wanna keep learning

Thanks everyone

+1
    Your only option is to download a base map off the motec site. Go for the AU95 octane map and start from there. It'll be the closest to stock you could get.

It's not possible to get the stock ecu settings as far as I know.

Enjoy!!!!!

Good luck with the ethanol project.

Thank you, once I've figured everything out I may go through with this, I just want to get everything sorted before I start.

I've figured out how to put this question easier, how do you create your own base map?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by JordieS View Post
    Thank you, once I've figured everything out I may go through with this, I just want to get everything sorted before I start.

I've figured out how to put this question easier, how do you create your own base map?

Thanks guys
    Don't even bother creating your own base map. Everyone starts with motec one then fine tune from there.
    You sound like you are totally new to this mate, I would just run with amotec base map, and enjoy the ride without fiddling.

+1
    Hi
    First of all " no such thing as a stupid question.

I am wondering if you even mean an SHO engine
    Maybe not?
    If not, the normal proceedure is to work with one of our dealers who will help you set up the MoTeC to suit your engine.
    First of all he would ask our dealer net work if someone had tuned an engine like yours, lets say its a V10 Viper.
    Some of his fellow dealers would come back with a start file for a V10 to get you going, this way all the calibrations and timing offsets etc are done.
    If no start file, (and that would be unusual) you would then wire in the MoTeC and calibrate the factory sensors, hook up a lambda sensor and begin tuning, its not difficult if your one of our trained dealers but would take a bit of time.
    Generally there is no easy way to look at what the stock ECU is doing. We can do it but it is quicker just to tune it.

The MoTeC is fully programable, you can set it up for virtually any engine on the planet, its just a matter of knowing the correct numbers to place in the correct tables.

Hope thats been some help

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MoTeC Pete View Post
    Hi
    First of all " no such thing as a stupid question.

I am wondering if you even mean an SHO engine
    Maybe not?
    If not, the normal proceedure is to work with one of our dealers who will help you set up the MoTeC to suit your engine.
    First of all he would ask our dealer net work if someone had tuned an engine like yours, lets say its a V10 Viper.
    Some of his fellow dealers would come back with a start file for a V10 to get you going, this way all the calibrations and timing offsets etc are done.
    If no start file, (and that would be unusual) you would then wire in the MoTeC and calibrate the factory sensors, hook up a lambda sensor and begin tuning, its not difficult if your one of our trained dealers but would take a bit of time.
    Generally there is no easy way to look at what the stock ECU is doing. We can do it but it is quicker just to tune it.

The MoTeC is fully programable, you can set it up for virtually any engine on the planet, its just a matter of knowing the correct numbers to place in the correct tables.

Hope thats been some help

Cheers

Thank you very much, that has cleared alot of things up, but I would like to use the MoTeC M400 or so on a VX Deluxe and I'm sure you know there is no plug-in version. I would also need to use bigger injectors as I want to convert it to run on pure ethanol (Hence why I was asking about base maps)

I would like to make a bit more power but it's ok if I lose a tiny bit, I mainly want to do it for the environmental benefits. A sort of eco-jetski if you will, to show that vehicles in general can be eco-friendly without the need for them to be hybrid or electrics.

I am fairly new to the whole ECU thing and I am loving learning more about them everyday, so thank you everyone

+1
    Hi again
    If you mean the new VX Yamaha we should have a plug in for it soon.
    On top of that I will sort you out a base file that will run on ethanol.
    There is quite a bit of work tuning ethanol, easy at full throttle but the cold start is important and accel enrichment will need some work.
    You will need to measure the fuel pump out put and check the ethanol compatibility of the fuel tank and lines.
    I would expect for a standard engine that you would not make the same power given the same ignition timing, but if the stock ECU is conservative like its SHO cousin then there may be quite a bit more in it as a result of fitting the MoTeC.

Cheers for now

I will probably need some bigger injectors and maybe a new fuel pump but the tank and lines are ok as they are modern and E10 compatible and the fuel tank is plastic, which from my research I have found is fine.

I have an '09 model and if you are willing to crate a base file then (if the project goes ahead) I will definately buy MoTeC, I wonder if everyone from MoTeC is a helpful as you? ahahah

Thank you very much

+1
    Jordie, adding a Motec or other ECU to a VX Deluxe is not going to give you a large performance increase, as it does on the supercharged 1800cc 210++ hp Yamaha motors. You have the MR-1 1052cc 110 hp motor in your ski. There are a few very minor performance upgrades you can do, but a Motec or other ECU would be a very bad money/performance increase proposition. If you want to go fast, you really need a different ski to start with ... the 110hp VX is not the right platform to build up.
    Last edited by Vern; 12-15-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: fixed

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    I think the guys are right. The VX is just not made to be fast. Its easier and cheaper to sell it and purchase a VXR if you like the hull design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information