Polaris Genesis Tow Hook - Ring - Fiberglass rip

Just got a Polaris Genesis and the fiberglass under the tow ring bracket has separated. I think the photo may better explain my issue...Any idea if this is going to leave me unable to pull a ski or tube? Alternate location maybe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	223884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo3.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	223885  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Looks like it just needs a good quality fiberglass repair, and some metal reinforcement from underneath to add strength.

Properly repaired it will be stronger than original.

I would also like to welcome you to the Hulk . Looks like an easy repair. You can get fiberglass cloth at any local auto parts store, even Wal-Mart carries it. You will need some polyester resin with a MEK-P hardner. I wouldnt even try to re-attach the piece, it would be stronger if you just ground it out (taper the sides all the way around and get the loose stuff off) and built it back up with fiberglass IMO. Then, you can just re-drill the holes you need using your tow hook as a template. If you would like to reinforce it, use aluminum plate underneath that spans across the bottom of the lip and lay fiberglass over it also. This will help distribute the weight over a larger surface area. Since the inside of the hull is not coated, the new fiberglass will bond well if you simply rough it up a little with sandpaper to ensure there is no oil/greese on the surface. The key is multiple layers of fiberglass and enough contact with the undamaged surface if you want it to be strong. Start with small sheets of figerglass and cut them larger (with sissors) as you lay them to eventually equal the to diameter of the repair on the last layer. You can lay several layers back to back as long as you dont put too much hardner in the resin. If that happens, your resin will start getting hard on you before you are able to use it . If you take your time and lay it in there correctly it would be stronger than factory like K447 said. Look up figerglass repair on google, there are several good websites and videos out there that are great.

Banned User
    +1
    If thats a SMC hull you will have to use epoxy not polyester. A friend and myself repaired a SMC hull with polyester before we knew any better and the repair failed twice before we switched to epoxy and its been good ever since.

Good point Bryan. If that is the case here is where you can find what you need for the repair. http://www.westsystem.com/ You can probably get the epoxy resin locally also, just check with your local auto stores.

+1
    If it were me, I might consider making that repair and then retiring that location. Maybe add a new one down lower on the vertical part of the top deck, just below the original. Of course I'd fabricate a staunch backing plate as opposed to just washers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11898_L1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	223948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19512_L1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	223949  

+1
    +1 change the location. epoxy the repair. use backing plate like a alum plate 3 by 3 inches 1/4" thick. use the new hook off the center of the back. Use the dual bolt type like above if tubing a lot. Sorry to hear it ripped off the boat! yikes. duck!

I have some fiberglass cloth if you need some to repair that.
    Last edited by bowsniper; 12-14-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Thread Information