+1

Question PTO Water / Oil Pump Shaft Installation Question

I've pressed the water/oil pump shaft into the rotary seal through the PTO housing. What I don't know is how far to insert the shaft into the rotary seal?? When I push the pump shaft all the way into the seal as far as it can go - it's hard to turn by hand. So, I've pushed it back enough so it can be turned by hand.

I really don't know how the seal works. If I only push the shaft in far enough to get the water pump impeller threaded on to it, there is some axial play in the shaft and I can push the shaft toward the oil pump cover... How does the rotary seal work??? Will it seal if the shaft is pressed into it just enough to get the water pump impeller onto it? Does the shaft need to be pressed all the way in to where there is no axial play and able to be turned by hand?

Any knowledge on the subject will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Craigo

+1
    I guess I'll run it like it is and find out if it'll leak oil into my coolant or coolant into my oil?

+1
    Mine was pressed in by a shop so I can't help out other than to say that when I got it back it had no axial play and was tough to turn by hand. I've run it like this for the past 40 hours with no issues.

Ya, gold washers suck...I feel your pain brother. BTW, isn't this your second time breaking this engine down?

+1

Right On!

Quote Originally Posted by DallasGV View Post
    Mine was pressed in by a shop so I can't help out other than to say that when I got it back it had no axial play and was tough to turn by hand. I've run it like this for the past 40 hours with no issues.

Ya, gold washers suck...I feel your pain brother. BTW, isn't this your second time breaking this engine down?
    Hey, DallasGV!

Thanks for your input!

Actually, this is my first teardown, but I have had two washer failures. First with the ceramics, now the stock metal ones. My ceramics lasted 65 hours and the metal ones lasted 42!!! It would be all worth while if I could just get to kick the CEO of BRP right in the balls. HARD.

+1
    +11 on kicking someones ass for designing a washer system that grenades the motor when they go out! One other thing that I forgot to check when I was putting mine back together - make sure the telltale groove on the shaft when it goes into the PTO is lined up.

Here's what the Riva write up said about the groove- Inspect drive shaft at PTO seal assembly. (see illustration #’s 13 & 14) If telltale groove is visible tap pump end of drive shaft with a rubber mallet until motor end bottoms out against engine. CAUTION: If telltale groove is exposed the installation is wrong and PTO seal assembly will be pressed into crankshaft splines which could rub a hole in seal thus creating an oil leak.

for whatever reason I can't add a pic/illustration to this post, so send me a PM with your email and I'll send it.

Good luck on the rebuild!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasGV View Post
    +11 on kicking someones ass for designing a washer system that grenades the motor when they go out! One other thing that I forgot to check when I was putting mine back together - make sure the telltale groove on the shaft when it goes into the PTO is lined up.

Here's what the Riva write up said about the groove- Inspect drive shaft at PTO seal assembly. (see illustration #ís 13 & 14) If telltale groove is visible tap pump end of drive shaft with a rubber mallet until motor end bottoms out against engine. CAUTION: If telltale groove is exposed the installation is wrong and PTO seal assembly will be pressed into crankshaft splines which could rub a hole in seal thus creating an oil leak.

for whatever reason I can't add a pic/illustration to this post, so send me a PM with your email and I'll send it.

Good luck on the rebuild!
    Thanks, I will undoubtedly install the driveshaft correctly ... I've been to that bar-b-que a number of times.

Craigo

Thread Information